disbudding question...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by mikenandrea, Apr 1, 2010.

1. mikenandrea

mikenandrea New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Just curious when I should be doing this? I have nigerian dwarfs. THey were born Saturday.. I can feel a little nub on the boy kid, but nothing on the girl yet..

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    You have usually 2 weeks to get it done on boys and up to 4 on girls

3. mikenandrea

mikenandrea New Member

Oct 21, 2009
  4. mikenandrea

mikenandrea New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Re: disbudding ... Ok take a look - first timer with pic

ok.. Just got around to doing this little guy.. He is 8 days old.. The little girls is starting to come up as well.. I think we will do her tommorrow.. I just wanted to get advise on how his turned out.. I see that I will need to go back into the center of the burn to get the "cap". but other than that, did I get the outer edges ok?

[​IMG]

5. mikenandrea

mikenandrea New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    ok yeah.. forgot to mention.. Is it normal to have stuff ooze out of them after you burnt them? It was a VERY SMALL amount of stuff..

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I won't do this myself but I have a friend that does it for me when buyers request it done....I had a "late" request for a little buckling and his were done at 2 weeks old..they were almost through the skin at that age and he will scur because the buyer waited...doelings can wait til up to 3 weeks but I have had doelings with points poking thru at 2 weeks old...I wouldn't let them go longer than a week for bucks.

Oozing is normal....it's a wound and it will weep. Dries after a few hours provided you can keep them from scratching their heads.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    My take - you will get scurs with that burn. YOu need to burn more

8. mikenandrea

mikenandrea New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Ok, when you say burn more aside from the center.. You mean I need to burn further out?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup -- you only burned the actual part you could see -- you need ot burn the base and make it wider

10. mikenandrea

mikenandrea New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    ok.. is this right? if not, he is just going to have scurs.. LOL I will have to figure out how to get rid of the scurs.. How do you get rid of scurs anyways? with those nipper thingy's?

[​IMG]

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    he will probably have scurs -- you need a larger iron tip to do bucks

depending on how thick the scurs are will determine if you need to band them or if they will fall off with some wiggling

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    It looks like you used the 1/4" tip for disbudding? It is not big enough for bucks and just barely big enough for doe kids. You'll need an iron with a 1/2 inch tip. It does look like the 2nd time around you got the burn right, just not big enough of an iron.

13. mikenandrea

mikenandrea New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I told them I had ND's when I ordered the iron.. Shouldnt they have known this?? ughh.. So which tip should I get?

I just looked at the invoice and they sent me the pygmy tip..

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I bought that iron at first too then went back and purchased a 1/2" tip. If they do not breed goats, then they wouldn't really know. Or maybe just be prepared to disbud at a younger age? Our kids would have to be only days old for the iron to work and I prefer waiting to the week-old mark for bucks and 2+ weeks for does.

If you have the X-30 then I do not think the tips are interchangeable. If you bought X-50 then you can just purchase the 1/2" tip for disbudding bucks or there is a special "tear-shaped" tip for buck kids. I just use the regular 1/2" tip.

15. mikenandrea

mikenandrea New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Yep.. got the x30.. will call tomorrow when they open to talk to someone about it.. They are not going to like me after it is all said and done.. But really, if they are selling the product they should have more knowledge about them. True?

16. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I agree that the burn area looks too small. Maybe they will exchange the iron for the x30 with the regular or 1/2" tip. I have Lamanchas and the regular tip was barely big enough to do my 3 day old buck's horn buds so I would imagine that you wouldn't want anything smaller than the 1/2" for an 8 day old ND.

17. letssmile

letssmile New Member

Jun 18, 2013
    where do you position the tear drop part of the buck tip, when disbuding

18. FarmerJen

FarmerJen New Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Skagit County, WA
    I did (well, I had someone else do) my ND kids (bucks and does) at 9 days old. Everything looks good so far, but yes, their burns were much wider than that. Must have been a 1/2" tip. Believe she said she used the x30, but sounds like it comes in different sizes? I dread doing it myself next year. Hearing those poor babies scream just breaks my heart!

19. Sorry to bring up an old thread but I agree with letssmile, how do you position the tear drop buck tip?:thinking:

20. Goat_in_Himmel

Goat_in_Himmel Active Member

Jun 23, 2013
    British Columbia
    "The horn buds on a buckling are shaped like teardrops, with their tips pointing roughly to a spot between the animal's eyes...The trick [if using a round iron] is to burn each bud twice in an overlapping diagonal figure eight." -Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats, p. 117, illus. p. 115. Haven't done it yet, myself. I imagine the tip of the teardrop would point to that spot between the buckling's eyes?