Disbudding Question

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by MellonFriend, May 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

So asked my vet if when I have babies to disbud if she would teach me how to do it. She said that she would, but what I am wondering about is she said that she does not like the method where you hold the iron on for the whole time. She like the put on pull off method so that there's less risk of brain damage. I heard that holding the iron on the whole time is better because it's less painful than having that on off on off pain. I'm not sure if I'm making sense. Which method do you prefer?

2. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    The way we disbud was taught to us by our vet. We put the iron over the bud for a 5 second count, remove, then do the other side. Then back to the first side for another 5 second count, then other side. After that we cut the bud off with a knife, followed by cauterizing the area cut off. This stops any bleeds. For bucks we do the figure 8 burn last to try and get the horn flute.

My vet who taught us warned us about not holding to too long as you’ll burn their brains. You won’t know until the swelling starts about a week later. He said it was safer to burn, let cool, then burn the second time. We’re still learning, but I’m hoping no scurs this year, at least on does and wethers.

Iluvlilly! and MellonFriend like this.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you don't like the way when she shows you, just hold it.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I'm just looking for opinions. I guess I'm trying to learn some more about what people do so I can know whether I like the way she does it or not.

5. ksalvagno

I hold it. But I also give a shot of Banamine prior to doing it and put a bag of frozen peas on it after.

6. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    How long do you hold each on for? Do you cauterize the top after knocking the bud off?

7. ksalvagno

Like to the count of 10 or so. I don't really count. More of a feel and a look.

8. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I also do a feel and look, prob 5 seconds on 2 seconds off (check and adjust basically) times three or so. The guy who taught me held it for ten seconds, but i got a lot of scurs from him. I have also read the more sustained it is the better, but I have no idea how true that is. It would make sense though. Disbudding is just hard and it takes a few years of practice to perfect it. My sister has been watching me do it for years and she did her first this year and the kid got scurs. There's a lot of trial and error.

groovyoldlady and MellonFriend like this.
  9. Davi

Davi Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Is there any way to tell if the kid will grow scurrs or do you just have to wait and see? We did our first disbudding this year and we're pretty nervous about it not turning out right

10. Abby Wootan

Abby Wootan New Member

May 7, 2020
    Roseland LA
    I know I am just 13 but when we disbud our goats we use an iron. Here's why 1 it doesn't bleed and 2 once those nerves are gone they really won't feel anything.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I have been doing the 10 seconds for each bud, checking after that 10 seconds for the copper ring, popping off the bud covering and touching up if needed. I spray with BluKote. If in the winter, I put ice on the buds after burning. Been doing it this way for 36 years with no burnt brains. Hard to tell with goats, though, they can be pretty dumb.

groovyoldlady and Spryng like this.
  12. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    There really isn't any way to tell. Depending on how bad the scurs are, you'll know within a month or two. A lot of times little tiny ones show up months later, but those break off easily and aren't an issue.

13. Davi

Davi Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Okay, thank you! We're doing the method where we wait for the nubs to fall off, rather then cutting them so I hope it works out well.

14. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Yep, that's what I do. There was a thread on here a while back on that and about half of breeders did it that way. There didn't seem to be any correlation between buds not getting popped off at disbudding and the goat getting scurs later on. It's just personal preference.