The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Knock the cap and cauterize. I didn't get the cap off last year but had nice copper rings...those 2 kids have scurs now :( This is my 2nd year coming disbudding. I'm terrified.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just thought I'd let you know that I just disbudded my little buckling. I think it went pretty well, and I was surprised at how not traumatic for me it was. Time will tell whether I did it enough, but for my first time I feel great with what I did. I'm not going to be too hard on myself. I mean, if I get scurs, I get scurs. This is a learning process. I could not flip the cap off, I don't know if it was just because the buds weren't quite large enough for me to do that, but it didn't happen so we will see. Benjamin seems to be doing fine. I know that if there was a problem you wouldn't know right away, but he bounced right back and was nursing and jumping around in the stall when I put him back after finishing. Thank you all for your support and advice. I could not have done this without you.:ty:

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,668 Posts
We shave a large area, aside from burning hair, I think it's easier to see what you are doing, better. I've always been told no more than 5 seconds at a time (like 5 Literal seconds...not a fast 5 count) We usually do like another said, do the first bud for 5 seconds, go to the other, come back, and touch up the first then second then pop the cap. We did figure 8 on the bucks and got weird scurs that we didn't have before, so we stopped doing it this year. Will see how they turn out. Bucks are hard in general. Every buck I've owned has had some kind of scur. I've had boys we burned, other herds burned themselves, vets have burned, etc. All have had scurs to varying degrees.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,668 Posts
I just thought I'd let you know that I just disbudded my little buckling. I think it went pretty well, and I was surprised at how not traumatic for me it was. Time will tell whether I did it enough, but for my first time I feel great with what I did. I'm not going to be too hard on myself. I mean, if I get scurs, I get scurs. This is a learning process. I could not flip the cap off, I don't know if it was just because the buds weren't quite large enough for me to do that, but it didn't happen so we will see. Benjamin seems to be doing fine. I know that if there was a problem you wouldn't know right away, but he bounced right back and was nursing and jumping around in the stall when I put him back after finishing. Thank you all for your support and advice. I could not have done this without you.:ty:
Great job! It's a def learning experience. I don't like doing it as I'm not comfortable and it's traumatic for me lol. Here, it's my husband's job and he does a good one.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Great job. You did it and should be proud of yourself scurs or no scurs! It’s no fun when you’re worried that your going to traumatize a animal of any type. As you can see now, it’s not fun but it’s not so bad either. :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Good job!

We use a knife to pop the caps off, then cauterize the area. Sometimes they bleed (my husband’s first time he got arterial spurt which freaked me out but we were able to stop the bleed and the buckling was fine).

When we notice scurs, if it is soon enough we reburn. If they’re small and movable we just pop them off with pliers like a scab. My keeper buckling from last year was growing some decent scurs that weren’t movable. He bashed them off once, but they regrew. I was trimming his feet this past weekend and decided to take the horse hoof nippers to trim back his scurs some (have read about it but never tried it). He threw such a fit when I tried to nip it that the whole scur came off (sweet!), so I did the same to the other. He had minimal bleeding but was so mad at me. As they grow back I’ll keep popping them off. Hopefully they’ll stop growing back.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Good job!

We use a knife to pop the caps off, then cauterize the area. Sometimes they bleed (my husband's first time he got arterial spurt which freaked me out but we were able to stop the bleed and the buckling was fine).

When we notice scurs, if it is soon enough we reburn. If they're small and movable we just pop them off with pliers like a scab. My keeper buckling from last year was growing some decent scurs that weren't movable. He bashed them off once, but they regrew. I was trimming his feet this past weekend and decided to take the horse hoof nippers to trim back his scurs some (have read about it but never tried it). He threw such a fit when I tried to nip it that the whole scur came off (sweet!), so I did the same to the other. He had minimal bleeding but was so mad at me. As they grow back I'll keep popping them off. Hopefully they'll stop growing back.
Thanks! My bucks that I bought have scurs that they knock off occasionally, but sometimes if they don't, I trim them with a wire saw because they grow towards their heads. Man--they hate when I have to do that.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yesterday Benjamin had to cry a little today when his sister butted his head with hers. He acted like his head hurt and then he went back to normal and then today it happened once again, but seemingly without cause. Should I be concerned about this? Should I give him some banamine just in case? He's nursing well, and springing around like he should. I only saw it happen once today and I've been out there pretty much all day.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Okay good to know. Thanks, Karen. I feel like the theme of my first kidding season has been "Is this normal?" :ahh:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts