Disbudding questions

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Dover Farms, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Okay....we disbudded Wonder and Whisper today. Mom held the iron (Rhinehart X30) on for 8-10 seconds at a time until she got a copper ring and then flicked the cap off. The horn bud was then white. She burnt a little more and used the side of the iron to cauterize any bleeding. We took some pics...and I'll post them in a few minutes....

2. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Wonder:
    [​IMG]

Whisper:
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

3. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    looks good, man i wishe i would have dehorned my babies when i had the chance, did you use a setative?

4. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
  5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Looks good Jacque! :D

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Looks like ya'll did a good job!

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    that is a beautiful disbudding job!

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Really Really good job there. Is this the first time you guys had done it on your own? Thats exactly what its suposed to look like. I use the rhinhardt x50 just because it gets a little hotter and i don;t have to hold it on so long. But i don;t think you will have problems with scurs at all. this looks great.
    beth

9. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    We tried disbudding last year and it didn't work. We didn't flick the caps off...we just burned until we got a copper ring....and we never held it on for a full 8 seconds. It was a big mess last year.....we were scared that we would cook their brains or something! :roll: After watching my 4-H advisor a couple times it helped....A LOT! Oh and we also used a box last year...that didn't work very well either.

Thanks everyone! I sure hope we don't have the problems we did last year!

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    looks good. I never flick the caps off - couldn't seem to do it, but still it worked out fine because I did it the way I was taught.

11. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    That looks really good. :thumb:

12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Looks good.Juat like our vet does it.

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Of all the things you have to do with livestock, disbudding is the most scary to me. I can give shots (note: even though my husband is a Dentist, and gives shots to humans every day, amoung other scary things, he refuses to give shots to the animals?), but, at least at first I'll leave the disbudding to my vet.

Have any of you had trouble with livestock vets? The office were my vet works out of has apparently stopped their livestock operations...she is still going to see some of her patients...on her own, she's still going to work in the office on pets, but she's doing the livestock part time...I guess I'm "one of the good ones" I think that means I pay my vet bills on time. So, she's happy to keep me on. I've heard some vet offices are dropping their livestock clients altogether...I know they make most of their money from pets...but we still need them?

Di

14. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I've never had a problem with my livestock vet,Di.He actually raises goats himself.