Disbudding Questions.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay I wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move it if needed. When will I need to disbud my buckling? What do I need to do it with? Or about how much would a vet charge to do it? I feel so stupid asking this, but I forgot that they get horns. :roll: I'm so used to seeing my girls, only one has scurs. :oops: Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have never disbudded bucklings but my girls need theirs done by 10-12 days. I would think bucklings may be a little sooner as their horns are bigger.
    My vet charged about $35 to do it with a tetanus anti-toxin shot. At his office.

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    My vet came to the farm. We did 7 kids, she did the first one, then it was my turn. She said "you are going to be doing this...so it's time to do it!" I think we waited too long on a couple of boys...they had scurs...so I burned them again...that was worse then doing it right the first time. So, now I'll do it as the kid needs it, and not wait with a bunch at one time. http://www.fiascofarm.com has a step by step photo gallery of disbudding. I got my disbudding iron from their recommendation (Rhinehart X-30). My vet was really impressed with how hot it got. She said that's the way to go. You don't have to burn as long...but be really careful and dont' burn too long. I think I counted to 5, let head cool, and again, then I hit the center of the horn bud with the edge of the iron...did like a criss-cross. I gave cd-t, and banamine (for pain/swelling).

It really sounds barbaric when you are explaining it. But, it's really not that bad. Kids were up and running around like nothing happened within a couple of minutes. They dislike being held down as much as the actual burn. I know someone had a kid react to the cd/t shot, so they say to wait a little to see if there is a reaction to the shot. And have epinephrine on had just in case.

I have a disbudding box, but the Niggy kids are a little too small. You'll need a helper for sure. Good luck... :hug:

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've never had a vet do it, but I think it runs around $40. We disbud bucklings at 3-5 days old, depending upon how big their buds are. My mom does the disbudding, we have a box and we have an X50 calf dehorning with a goat tip. I like the X30 better though, I've seen a couple breeders use it.

5. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Crissa, my vet will do it for $10.00 I believe. His clinic is called Veterinary Corner, I REALLY recommend him, he's a great goat vet. I've waited until they are about a week and a half with out problems, Nubie horns grow pretty slow.

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks everyone! I'll buy a disbudding iron sometime but this time I think I'll go ahead and take him to Bethany's vet! :greengrin:

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yes best to watch someone do it at least a couple times. And for 10.00 I would good choice

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    For $10 I'd let the vet do it...