Disbudding Questions

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Goat Crazy, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    How do I know if my kids are going to grow scurs or not? I have a buckling that I disbudded at 1 week of age, his buds fell off at 4 weeks of age I don't see any horn growth, but that seems to early for the horn buds to fall off. Then I have a 13 week doeling who's horn buds have not fallen off. They are a little chipped off around the edges and her hair has grown over them. I disbudded her at 3weeks. They are nigerians so horn growth isn't as fast as standered size goats.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The doeling will have growth by now if she was going to have any scurring....How old is the boy now? I don't disbud myself but I have noticed that if the boys are going to scur the growth is more in the front towards the brow.

3. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
  4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If he was going to scur, you'd be able to feel them at 8-12 weeks, if you aren't sure wether it was a good enough burn, I think it would be easiest and less traumatic to reburn as soon as you feel them.

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    the boys loose the bud quicker cause they butt heads more often than the girls. If you missed the horn then you would know within a week if it was gonna scur. then you would just reburn

6. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
  7. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Don't let Jason's confidence fool you, he obsessed over Cleo's head for months worrying that he did not do a good enough job. Goat-dads... :p