The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now got 5 kids, 2 bucklings and 3 doelings. I am thinking about having them disbudded, my other goats all have horns.

What do I need to know before I have this done? I have never had a goat disbudded before. They are all under 3 weeks old. Does it hurt them really bad? How crazy will the mom's be if I take their kids away for a couple of hours?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Are you planning on having a vet do it? Or are you doing it yourself? How is it going to be done?

Usually the kids recover very quickly. They don't remember it within the next 5 minutes!

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you planning on having a vet do it? Or are you doing it yourself? How is it going to be done?

Usually the kids recover very quickly. They don't remember it within the next 5 minutes!
The vet will do it... he said they would button burn them...he just said to let them know a few days in advance because it was a two person job... (I didn't know that.)

I would never attempt to do it myself... I'm too much of a coward! LOL

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Just make sure when you pick them up the horn buds are flat.......I took a baby to the vet and she did a terrible job......I knew it didn't look right but I didn't say anything. Well the horns grew back. The only thing I would do after you get them home is maybe spray them with an antibacterial spray such as scarlex but other than that you won't need to do anything........they will be normal very soon after

1 - 5 of 5 Posts