The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my three week old boy was disbudded when he was maybe 5 days old and the buds were okay but the other day they seemed to have gotten knocked (they bled a little and there was some pus) so i have been spraying them with Centrigen (purple antibacterial stuff) and oh my gosh,i came home this afternoon from school and found one had just come off! it looks gross, a raw pink and slimy looking patch, so I sprayed it again to prevent it getting infected or anything

Is there anything wrong with this?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
It's perfectly ok for the scabs to come off...a little pink underneath goes away pretty fast. But, there shouldn't be any puss? Is it swollen? Hot? If it's infected I would consider an antibiotic, and give her a cd/t shot (maybe the tetnus toxoid?). Someone else will have an opinion soon.

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's not puss-y anymore, I don't think. I only oozed a bit of pus and blood the other day, I think it cleared up though? I hope so.
My poor josh seems to have so many little problems and little thom is just so robust and healthy compared to him. I feel like a bad goat mum D:

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can post some progressional pics

This was when they were relatively normal
Plant Llama Human body Purple Goat

This was when I found the pus. You can see it oozing out on the left, and the stuff on the right looked like a weird chunk of half dried blood
Plant Dog breed Carnivore Felidae Grass

The same day, blood made it go pink
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Whiskers Fawn

Couple of days later. The one on the left there looked weird but not puss-y and the left was just scabby
Head Eye Plant Fawn Terrestrial animal

Today when I came home
Dog breed Dog Ear Carnivore Working animal

A little while later after I sprayed it.
Working animal Dog breed Plant Fawn Grass

Sorry for the poor quality of pics, it's so hard to keep them still long enough

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
They look normal. I'd leave them alone unless flies are an issue. If so, put some SWAT on them. Have they had tetanus shots?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I agree with the others.....they look good. I always spray Scarlex on mine and it works fine for me. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The purple stuff is great to out on any wound. But we never disbudding that early! It will just make him stress. We disbudding at about 2-3 weeks

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for easing my worries guys. It just looked so sore and nasty and I wasn't sure was a disbudding scab looked like!
Goat mamahood is a little tiring but I love my babies (most days ;) ) it's almost like having a human child because I always have to think about being home in time to feed them
I was fairly sure disbudding within a week of birth was fairly standard practise, and I don't see why it would be more or less stress than doing it later.

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and sorry I forgot to answer RE their shots.
The friend I bought them off is giving them their shots hopefully next week along with their bands, but I'm not sure which shots. I just trust she knows what she's doing because she has her own dairies

·
Registered
635 Posts
It depends on your goats and how fast their horns grow. If I waited two weeks on my Toggs their horns would be two inches long. 5 days for me.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
It depends on your goats and how fast their horns grow. If I waited two weeks on my Toggs their horns would be two inches long. 5 days for me.
:thumbup: At least with Nigies I've always heard "when you can start to feel the nubs, be it a day old or later". I haven't yet had to dis-bud at a day old, and hope I never have to...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts