Well it went HORRIBLE! I gave him tetanus antitoxin prior to disbudding since I knew his mom had never had any vaccines and he wouldn't get the antibodies for it. About 5 mins later he started screaming and I noticed his eyes were swelled shut! Oh ####! My Mom grabbed him and ran for the car. I hadn't disbudded him yet because I like to wait and make sure they aren't going to have a reaction!
Called 3 vets and stopped at one vet office before I got ahold of someone who could take care of him. Had to drive about 20 mins away. He screamed the whole way there and I was flipping out! It was a good thing my mom drove! Poor babies eyelids had swollen shut and his ears were swollen too! he also had some respiratory involvement. I think I jumped out of the car before it stopped moving and the vet held the door open for me. They weren't even open so she had opened the place for me. She gave him Solu-Delta-Cortef and that seemed to help a lot right away. He wasn't standing when I got there and just wanted to be in my arms. She said to keep and eye on him but he should be fine now. He slept in my lap the rest of the way home with the occasional scream. I talked to Birdie most of the way home.
He is standing on his own now and drinking from mom. A big storm is blowing in so I had to leave and go home. He seemed to be doing much better though! The vet also gave me the rest of the solu-delta-cortef in case he needs some more tomorrow.
So poor Bambi is still not disbudded and I will need to do it tomorrow! Vet said I should before the tetanus antitoxin wears off. I guess I will see how he is tomorrow.
I was soooo mad at the other vet around me. I know they are small animal vets but they have the drugs and would not give them to me because I didn't have a prescription! They also said they didn't treat goats! How they could tell me this with a poor goat screaming bloody murder in the background I have no idea!
So please pray that all goes well and that he makes it through the night. I am so worried about the poor thing!
Prayers coming for your little man. Hang in there, you took perfect care of him. If you hadn't waited to make sure he was ok and had started disbudding him it would certainly have been more traumatic. Good work.
O my, the poor baby! And you too of course. How traumatic for both of you! I always fear having ANY reaction from shots! Thats why I only do the CD/T and since the kids are exposed in utero they shouldn't react when I give the boosters! I had been able to get Epinephrine from TSC up til 2 years ago, now I need to get it from a vet. I only have it "just in case". My DH has anaphylactic reaction to bee stings and has to carry an epi-pen with him...I wonder if his epinehrine can be used on a goat? Just in case.
Very good thing you found a vet to treat him and the one that turned him away should be ashamed of themself!!
Hope you can go thru with the dis-bud after this, I'd be afraid of traumatizing him further. (I don't dis-bud, I prefer the horns..jmo)
Yes its worth the money to have the Epi-pen handy in that type of situation...you never know when you will need it...Also if you cant get the vet to give you the shot ...next time you are at the doctor ask if they will give you a script for a shot of it...or for a emergency type thing...no one know when they might need it ever...sometimes you can eat peanut butter all your life and then WHAM it can get ya...better to be safe than sorry...Glad he is doing better now...
That is so very scary! Sorry that happened to you & your goat! Poor baby! Does this kind of thing happen often w/ anyone's goats? We have never had it happen but now I'm scared! I didn't vaccinate my doe in time (4 weeks before due date) she's now two weeks away and I'm scared after reading this! Please tell me this doesn't happen all the time!