Disbudding today- (went really bad!!)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Feb 27, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Arg I hate it but it needs to be done. Xcell's buckling needs to be burned today. I am just going to help hold him while my mom burns. Ahh! I hate it. Wish me luck. I hope I don't faint! lol :worried:

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Re: Disbudding today- Wish me luck

I have know doubts eveything will go fine! :)

3. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon

Good luck and Good for you! I need to learn how! maybe my vet will show me when he does our first 7 on Friday. ~

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma

Hope it goes well! I've been disbudding the last 2 days, did 3 yesterday and 2 today. Still quite a few more that are almost ready to do.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

hehe I thought it was funny how you focused on how it will effect you more then the kids - isn't it always that way!

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Well it went HORRIBLE! I gave him tetanus antitoxin prior to disbudding since I knew his mom had never had any vaccines and he wouldn't get the antibodies for it. About 5 mins later he started screaming and I noticed his eyes were swelled shut! Oh ####! My Mom grabbed him and ran for the car. I hadn't disbudded him yet because I like to wait and make sure they aren't going to have a reaction!

Called 3 vets and stopped at one vet office before I got ahold of someone who could take care of him. Had to drive about 20 mins away. He screamed the whole way there and I was flipping out! It was a good thing my mom drove! Poor babies eyelids had swollen shut and his ears were swollen too! he also had some respiratory involvement. I think I jumped out of the car before it stopped moving and the vet held the door open for me. They weren't even open so she had opened the place for me. She gave him Solu-Delta-Cortef and that seemed to help a lot right away. He wasn't standing when I got there and just wanted to be in my arms. She said to keep and eye on him but he should be fine now. He slept in my lap the rest of the way home with the occasional scream. I talked to Birdie most of the way home.

He is standing on his own now and drinking from mom. A big storm is blowing in so I had to leave and go home. He seemed to be doing much better though! The vet also gave me the rest of the solu-delta-cortef in case he needs some more tomorrow.

So poor Bambi is still not disbudded and I will need to do it tomorrow! Vet said I should before the tetanus antitoxin wears off. I guess I will see how he is tomorrow.

I was soooo mad at the other vet around me. I know they are small animal vets but they have the drugs and would not give them to me because I didn't have a prescription! They also said they didn't treat goats! How they could tell me this with a poor goat screaming bloody murder in the background I have no idea!

So please pray that all goes well and that he makes it through the night. I am so worried about the poor thing!

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Disbudding today- Wish me luck (went really bad!!)

wow thats quite a reaction!

So glad you did get some help from a vet. Did the vet say why he reacted like that?

I don't give antitoxin before disbudding --- and only gave it when the vet told me to for Owen who had all those issues on the first day of his life. Something like that would scary me spitless!

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: Disbudding today- Wish me luck (went really bad!!)

She really had no idea. Its very rare!

I was going crazy crying to the vet over the phone. :tears:

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Prayers coming for your little man. Hang in there, you took perfect care of him. If you hadn't waited to make sure he was ok and had started disbudding him it would certainly have been more traumatic. Good work.

Di

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks so much everyone. He is 100% better today! :clap:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats what we love to hear :cool:

12. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Thats great!! That is a really scary reaction! You did great though!

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Glad to hear things are better. One more reason I am glad I have goat s that can NOT be disbudded. I would never do it. Just think all that and she is still not done.

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    He is running around the stall like crazy today! Bouncing off the walls and wiping out! I think the vet gave him a hyper shot! :shocked:

I am thrilled that he is better today because I really thought we were going to loose him last night!

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so glad that he is doing so well today. Allergic reactions are a scary thing to see happen! Good thinking and good reaction!!

16. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Oh my,I hope that never happens again to anyones goats.Glad he is better today. :p

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    O my, the poor baby! And you too of course. How traumatic for both of you! I always fear having ANY reaction from shots! Thats why I only do the CD/T and since the kids are exposed in utero they shouldn't react when I give the boosters! I had been able to get Epinephrine from TSC up til 2 years ago, now I need to get it from a vet. I only have it "just in case". My DH has anaphylactic reaction to bee stings and has to carry an epi-pen with him...I wonder if his epinehrine can be used on a goat? Just in case.
    Very good thing you found a vet to treat him and the one that turned him away should be ashamed of themself!!

Hope you can go thru with the dis-bud after this, I'd be afraid of traumatizing him further. (I don't dis-bud, I prefer the horns..jmo)

18. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Yes its worth the money to have the Epi-pen handy in that type of situation...you never know when you will need it...Also if you cant get the vet to give you the shot ...next time you are at the doctor ask if they will give you a script for a shot of it...or for a emergency type thing...no one know when they might need it ever...sometimes you can eat peanut butter all your life and then WHAM it can get ya...better to be safe than sorry...Glad he is doing better now...

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That is so very scary! Sorry that happened to you & your goat! Poor baby! :( Does this kind of thing happen often w/ anyone's goats? We have never had it happen but now I'm scared! I didn't vaccinate my doe in time (4 weeks before due date) she's now two weeks away and I'm scared after reading this! Please tell me this doesn't happen all the time!