Disbudding?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by yonderhill, May 28, 2009.

1. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    2 weeks ago I did my first ever disbudding, I got the copper rings..I think looking back I may not have burned long enough.. I really don't know for sure. Anyway the buckling has lost both of his scabs.. both bled a little, probably knocked off with all his clowning around.. and the doeling has lost the scabs over her horn buds.. (i burned X's in their horn bud rather than knocking the cap off, I read it could be done both ways..) but not around the base. So my question is how long is it going to take before I know if I screwed them up, and their horns are going to grow?

Jennah

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    You should know very quickly, like within a week with the doe prolly right now with the boy

3. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    OK... so what exactly am I looking for... right now they both have a kind of whitish bump that is the size of their scab that fell off.. should the area under the scab be flat.. this definetly is not.. it looks like a little upside down bowl (sorry i don't have pictures.. the camera is being difficult) ...... Help, please!!!

Jennah

4. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    It has always taken my alpine kids several weeks before I know that I don't have to redo a horn bud. My 8 week old kids just dropped their scabs just a couple weeks ago and they were done at about 10 days old.
    Sue

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Jennah it sounds to me like you did just perfect! You got the copper rings, the caps fell off (a little bleeding like that totally normal with their play)
    The upsidedown white bowl is normal too. You describled that well!
    If they do happen to get scurs just go back & re-burn them enough to get the scur, using the side of your iron.

6. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Thank YOU Nancy and everyone!! You made me feel better!! I just have to stop freaking myself out!! Glad to hear the upside down bowls are normal:)

Jennah

7. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We must all have lost our minds to have these critters! I've never done so much fretting in all my life. My human children hardly ever ruffled my feathers. "Oh looks like you might be bleeding to death. Maybe we better take you to ER".

8. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Nah I think I can stitch that myself :greengrin:

Oh please help me my goat has slightly clumpy poo and I just switched her diet is she dying? :ROFL: :ROFL:

9. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    OMG that is the truth :ROFL:

Jennah

10. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Good one Thantos!! :ROFL: