The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am raising Dwarf Nigerians.....I would like to disbud my bucks......been watching you tube today and even though, I was surgery nurse, that was tough to watch....poor kids. How old do hey need to be? My sire, think he might have gotten a botched job...one side is gone and the other is about 1/2 long. Kind of flaky too! Also, not sure which dehorn er to get the 1/4" ID or the 3/8" ID. I do have a mixed Pygmy /Nigerian buck!

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
You want to do it when there is a slight nub...We disbud when the nubs are the size of my pinky knuckle lol..seems to work for us. you dont want the horn to be through the skin...although you can still disbud you will most likely end up with scurs..our routine is to shave the head and give a tetanus antitoxin shot...and right after the disbudding we spritz they burns with apple cider vinegar...it stops the pain instantly..my daughter says its a miracle lol..Bucks tend to need to be done much sooner than the does..

imo..too much can go wrong with paste...Ive read stories of it getting in to the eye and such...the iron is fast and over ...once done they are back playing like nothing...some (usually bucks lol) can be more dramatic...but most do very well..

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Bucks you can usually do around the first few days. Their horns grow fast and you really need to get them quick.

Some people are very successful with the paste. The paste was a disaster for me. Every one of the kids had scurs and had to be burned. I'm sure a big part of it is inexperience but with the few kids that I have per year, I will never gain experience. So I will stick with disbudding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts