Discouraging a bad habit (jumping up)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    My little doeling, Luna, has a bad habit. She likes to jump up on me. So now I have hoof prints on my pants every time I come back inside.

I've tried putting a knee out like I would do it a dog, so she bumps against it and has to land on the ground, but she's a persistent little bugger! She'll catch me right when I turn my attention to someone or something else.

Any tips to discourage this behavior before she gets bigger?

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Smack her nose when she does it. HARD.

She may sulk and not like you for it for a little while, but she will forgive you and will remember her manners.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    hey that might work.... :thumbup:

4. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Mmm, Gypsy used to do that alot. I smacked her across the face and said "NO!" and when I get in the pen I say NO when I can see on her face she's thinking about it and she stops. She jumps up on command now; but conjoin the word "NO!" with your actions, prefferably before you smack her so she knows what's coming.

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yup!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, I used to flick mine in the nose when they jumped on me...and they haven't tried to jump on me in a while so I guess it works! They really hate getting flicked...lol...

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep,,,I just give mine a smack on the nose. Sounds harsh, but it usually works. I have one little doe that jumps just about every time I go in there so I've been doing that and she seems to be quitting pretty quickly.

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Okay, thanks guys! I used this to teach Hope to stop reaching back and taking a bite out of my hair when I was milking her (I'm so glad I have a milk stand now for next time!!) but didn't think of this when I was admiring the hoofprints on my jacket. :roll:

I will try this and hopefully she'll quit jumping on me.

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

another way is to turn your back to her when she jumps. when she stays down give her a treat or a good scratch.
    beth

11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    oh dear... and I taught Demi to jump on my shoulders by giving her grain :cool:

/me is always assaulted by an at-least-90kg-goat every time she walks up with a treat now. AHA

it's especially funny if she does it to someone who's not expecting it *evil smile*

:help:

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    weeeevil, you is eeeeevil lol

I taught Gizmo to do it too when he was young ... now he is growed up and too heavy he hardly ever walks on his hind legs now

13. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I wish Demi would growed up and be too heavy - I think she thinks 90kg... isnt too heavy... for placing her hooves on my shoulders and almost knocking me down *gurgles*

Maybe she'll grow up when she has kids :shrug: (oh yeah that's my hint to say 24 DAYS AND COUNTING! AHA)

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yeah my guess is she will probably settle down once she kids. Plus, its harder to jump around with that udder under you.

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

My kids do it. but personaly once they are weaned i dont like having two hooves slam me in the stomach or back when im not looking. And people who arnt used to goats. Or when young kids come around. So i just teach my goats that its not ok.
    beth

16. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I taught Gypsy how to sit in my lap as a 5 month old Nubian, jump up and stand on her hindlegs until my hands caught her hooves and rest her head on my shoulder while I scratched her tummy with my other hand. :greengrin: she is still my spoiled brat. :)