The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure which forum to post this on... So sorry if its the wrong one. :D

Here's the deal: I want to test all our goats-most of them are family goats (Alpines) and I have four Nigerians. I'm sure my dad will help me buy the tubes and pay for the actual testing, but I want him to have a thorough knowledge of at least CAE, CL, and Johnes, because those are the ones I'm probably going to start out with testing for at first anyway.
I've read a bit on them, but I don't think I can impart what I know to him clearly and coherently enough for him to understand how important it is, lol.
So I want to give him some really good, somewhat in depth articles for him to read, and I wondered if you wonderful people could give me a few good links on these. ;) I think he'll totally be on board once he reads about them.
I will say I don't think he'll want to read more than one or two articles on each one, lol, so not too many if you please, just whichever ones you think cover the subjects the best. :)
Thank you so much!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks y'all! I guess this is a pretty silly thread now that I think about it. Yall are probably wondering how i could be so dumb as to not be able to find a few articles. :rolleyes:
Don't worry, I know how to find tons of articles about this stuff, I've been to goat link and tennesse meat goats and goat world, and a bunch of others. :) I just was thinking in my tired mind that it would take a ton of sorting through and that y'all would be better at finding the right ones for me, since you are all so much more experienced. ;)
But I realize it's not that hard, sorry for starting a needless thread. :eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 2c

I was looking to expand my herd this summer and not a lot of herds are fully tested. So I paid to have a few "prospects" tested at their own farms, with sale contingent on negative results. Out of 4 unknown/untested local does that I screened, 1 came up positive for CAE, and 1 for Johnes disease (these two does were at separate farms). Obviously, I did not buy them. But I did see those same does for sale on Craigslist AFTER testing positive with no mention of disease status by the owners. I have no idea if the owners meant to disclose disease status to anyone who showed interest in them or not. Both does appeared healthy to look at. Had I bought either one without testing, I might have devastated my herd.

Point being: these diseases are definitely out there, some of them can be transmitted to humans, some of them aren't supposed to be zoonotic but as long as I am drinking the milk I am not taking any chances.

My husband used to think I was a worry wart for testing until this happened. Now he knows I am right to be as careful as I am.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
I used to only test when I thought there was an issue,always with negative results..but after my 4 year old whom I raised since weened ended up Positive for CAE I tested all my goats...three more Positive girls! and I bottle Fed kids with their milk..all were healthy other wise..no indication they had CAE...When my 4 year old's knee swelled and we tested I was devistated...so sad...We were lucky to find a person who took all our Positive Does who understands the disease. I dont know what I would have done with them otherwise. They were all very special and loved here, all are still doing well and no signs of illness, thank God...but I could not in good standing sell them undisclosed...I now have a clean herd..and test annually. I will not purchase new goats with out updated negative test results....its too sad. Not testing doesnt change the results and we infected three bottle babies with CAE because of our neglect in this basic goat care.
Kudos for you Sarah for testing..its scary the first time because you dont know what the out come will be, but a releif once its all over. Best wishes!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts