Disgusting Lice Nits?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Perfect7, May 2, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Well, the pretty buck I brought home had lice. YUCK! I saw the nits on the black part of his head on both sides on the cheeks and near his ears yesterday so I clipped away all the nits I could with scissors (didn't work too well), then used clippers and took it down to the skin and I swear the nits are even there. I tried to scratch most of them off but some remain. I also treated everybody for lice with sevin dust (thanks for the previous posts!) and put the buckling in with the recently wethered boy to keep him away from everybody else but not lonely (better to keep treating 2 than 6!)
    I haven't seen lice on anyone else, but today there are lots of dead lice all over the buckling. I'm not sure if the Ivermectin from worming got them or the sevin dust. Poor little guy. Is there any way for me to kill the nits directly, or do I have to wait for the things to hatch and treat both boys with sevin dust again? If I have to wait for them to hatch, anybody know how long that will take?
    I can only assume the nits were confined to the few patches on his head because it's black there and they were easy to see. My head is now itching like crazy. :hair: Nothing like bringing home lice for the whole herd. I'm getting broken in quick!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    The sevin Dust should take care of anything hatching. I had goats with lice real bad. In three days all nits and lice were gone.

And the lice is species specific you cant get the lice from them.

3. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you! They are all still pretty full of dust, so I guess it's okay to just turn the boys back out with the girls and maybe just dust them all again in a couple weeks as a precaution? You guys are awesome. They don't have any of this stuff in the books I bought. :applaud:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have never just treated one or two goats so I cant say if you can turn them out now. Logically yes, but I wouldnt want to tell you wrong either :chin: