The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sad to say one of my Dad's goats got his head stuck in the fence and my German Shepherd got to him before I did. The baby goat survided the encounter but can't use his front two legs. He had one deep cut across the shoulder. All the wounds are healing great. We are thinking that his front legs were dislocated but I don't know how to check. He can sit up and eats well we bottle feed him and he eats the hay around him. He is also gaining weight. The only issue he seems to have is not useing the front leg. It has been about 3 weeks since the injury. I am trying to keep from having to put him down. Any help in this would be great.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Oh dear, poor baby. Have you had him on any type of anti-inflammatory? Banamine or aspirin. Have you tried any physical therapy?
I fear that he should have seen the vet soon after the accident. I'm not sure what they can do for him now, but, I would contact a vet and ask. Any bone/ligament/structure damage should have vet attention. What happens if you try to stand him up? Is he acting like he's in pain? I would think if this were reversible he would be attempting to stand by now. Good luck, I'll pray for him, and you.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I would say it's time to call the vet. A thorough knowledge of anatomy is needed to determine whether your goat has dislocated shoulders or not, and that is where the vet comes in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts