The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little baby a month old has distemper (the vet thinks) his symptoms are... runny nose, very green.. very congested breathing.. twitching sides.. and sloshy like tummy after eating. Positive comments pleaze im very upset, but would love to know what you all think it sounds like and solution ideas... the dr gave us 2 shots to give him, not sure of the name..

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
I take it your vet doesn't know much about goats. Sounds like pneumonia to me. Does your goat have a temp? We would need to know what shots your vet gave you. That is very important. Sounds like with being sick, your goat also needs some C&D Antitoxin.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Can goats even get distemper? I never heard of it.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Im with Karen...get a temp, sounds like pueumonia..tylan 200 is OTC at tractor supply...1 cc per 25# every 12 hours.....C D antitoxinis 3 cc every 6 hours..Probios and B complex can help as well...Make sure he gets enough fluids..here is a recipe for home made electrolytes

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses is better but what ever molasses you have or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
2,203 Posts
I would take a temp, get some CD antitoxin, and probably start on Draxxin. I agree. Sounds like bad bacterial pneumonia.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry I am so late at replying, but yes apparently the vet isn't very bright.. the shot he gave us was tylon 200. we gave him the first shot on Friday. he said that if his symptoms kept up to give him the other shot today.. well after we gave him the shot on Friday within like 4 hours he sounded a lot better and was even acting like he was feeling better. today he is a whole different goat. nothing is bothering him. do you think I would give him the other shot tonight or in the morning or wait?? thank you all for your help!! I am new at this all and I was so scared when my husband called me at work and told me what the dr told him. if I knew that it was just tylon 200 I would have bought it myself fat TSC and not spent so much at the vet... also what Is the CD antitoxins? and where would I get it and how much do I tgive and how often?? sorry so many questions...

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I would give the second shot. Goats have such a fast metabolism it usually takes more than one dose of antibiotics to really kick an infection.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Definitely give the second shot.

Happybleats gave you the dosage above for the other stuff. Most of that you should be able to get at TSC.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I always do a full course of antibiotics even when they are feeling better., 5 days at least...C D Antitoxin can be found at some tractor supplies and feed stores...I have to order it in my area..I order from Jeffers...your vet may have some in stock as well..
glad he is on the mend..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts