Distinguishing between foot rot, founder and injury

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dvfreelancer, Aug 19, 2009.

1. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I've been reading a long time but this is my first post here. My goats are primarily for brush control and are mix of Boer, Savanna and...well, let's just say they have a diverse genetic background. But they're sleek and in good health, get regular worming and I've got brick climbing toys that keep their hooves worn down without a lot of extra trimming. I have a waiting list of people who want to buy my stock and they have a lot of pasture and woods to roam.

One of them has a medical issue that really bugs me. We have a baby billy born in July, cute little rascal. Anyway a couple days ago I notice him limping around the pasture, holding his front right foot up and hopping around on three wheels. There was no gradual onset or any indication there was an earlier problem. One day he's zipping around the pasture like the rest of the babies, the next day he's a tripod.

Examining the leg and shoulder I checked for range of motion, swelling, signs of a break, or bony crepitus all good. The foot was slightly swollen and tender to the touch but there was no smell, discharge and no cuts, punctures or anything stuck in his hoof. There was one small notch knocked out of the hoof on the bottom that might indicate a trauma site but it wasn't deep enough to bleed and didn't seem terribly bad. I figured he jumped off something and had a bad landing, couple days and he'd be over it.

Not exactly. It's been five days and he's still carrying that foot. His appetite is good...really good...and he gets around on three wheels pretty well, trying to catch him always a challenge. Yesterday I notice the foot was really swollen and still tender to the touch. He'll set it on the ground a little now standing still but can't put any weight on it.

I've read through all the material I can find about foot problems. I thought it might be foot rot, but there's no smell or discharge. I've never seen founder and don't know what it looks like. He did have some foamy discharge around his mouth a couple mornings after grain before he turned up lame, but that cleared up. Snake bite or insect sting is a possibility but didn't see any injury site. I could soak it and wrap it but wanted to get your take on it here before I did anything else. Other than carrying around that foot, he seems fine. Momma still lets him and his sister nurse and he doesn't have any trouble getting in there for a hit on the hose. And he's still capable of fighting for his spot on the grain tray. It wasn't wet before symptoms appeared and the rest of the herd is fine.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    first. welcome...and I love how you write...i actually laughed when you said he was a tripod. lol

ok. serious again.

sounds like he might have gotten stepped on, kicked or butted. my star just went through this, two weeks of hopping around on three legs. i didnt give banamine, because i dont have it, but this will help him ease the pain, swelling should go down. I gve star 2 aspirin crushed up in water, and drenched her with it twice a day.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    doesnt sound like founder at all

possible trauma or bite or sting that is invisible.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all, WELCOME :wave: Very glad you are here with us. As for your little one.
    Have you checked between his toes? Thorns can get stuck there if they are in the brush. I agree he could of been butted or even jumped off something and twisted it, so he could have a sprain.
    I would give him some asprin. I used just regular human asprin twice a day for my doe that had cancer to help with the pain. II would give it with some molasses or honey so he will eat it and not spit it out. I also did that for a goat that had a injury to his shoulder. I did that for a couple weeks and he was better. I also put it in Yogurt. They both loved the strawberry yogurt and they ate the asprin without even knowing, and the yogurt was good for their stomach.

Do you have pictures of your goats? We love pictures. :love:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A big....Welcome :wave: So happy you are here... :greengrin:

I agree with everyone....kids seem to always get slammed by an adult and get injured or laid on.....most of the time that's the culprit......some adults hit harder than others.....I had one hit so hard ...that the kid died a couple of days later... from internal injuries....I have also had a baby be gimpy for 1 month.... Anywayz ...I would...put him in a smaller area.. and not let him wonder and run around much ...so it can allow healing....banamine is really good to reduce selling and pain..... :hug:

6. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome and really appreciate your experienced insight.

Trauma was my first instinct. The adults are sometimes a bit rough with the little guys, I've seen them get tossed around. We also have a lot of paper wasps around here, I'm constantly at war with them. Their sting causes painful swelling and I've got the scars to prove it. Hate those things. Most of our snakes aren't poisonous, but are quite capable of delivering a painful bite.

But I'm going to go with injury by adult and give it another couple weeks. As long as his weight and appetite stay up I'll just keep checking on him.

Haven't tried a pic before, but I'll give it go. If this works, it's the brown one with the broken wheel. His momma is one of our more productive nannies. She's the herd lookout and a really good mom.

Attached Files:

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    You say you have paper wasps I wonder if thats what happened? Try some topical benedryl.

8. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Welcome, and I know some of our fellow group members get tired of hearing me post this, but give him 1 cc of childrens Motrin, generic will be fine. It will make him want to go sleepy bye and stay off of the foot. And if you have the space, pen him and his clan up to keep him from romping too much. It sounds like an injury or a thorn to me.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Motrin is like Tylenol right? Well I wouldn't give that - it is harmful for goats. Give children's asprin if you ever need a painkiller.

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Stacey that's what I have always heard. :shrug:

11. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Possibly. I got nailed by one this am, my whole foot is swollen tonight. Need to find the mothership and send Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in with a nuke and fry every one of those darn things. I don't know what part they play in the environment, but my personal environment will just have to get by without them. We have them really bad out here for some reason. I'm constantly spraying nests and usually finding them the hard way. Twice this summer.

Still, it's been over a week, a wasp sting should have healed by now.

The good news is he's still carrying it when he walks but is at least putting it down standing still. Looks like the swelling might have gone down just a tad. As long as he's showing improvement, I'll just continue to monitor how he's doing. As long as there's no bleeding or discharge and his appetite stays up he should mend.

I hate to try a pain killer when I don't know the dosages. Catching him is a trick and he gets a bad case of handling stress. Also nearly time for him to get "the band". It would suck if his leg just starts feeling better and ZAP! Hardly seems fair, does it? I'm trying to give him some space before subjecting him to that trauma.

12. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Thought I'd give everyone an update. The swelling on tripod's foot has gone down quite a lot. He now puts weight on it standing still and carries it lower when walking.

The hoof split at the trauma site and the back half of the pad fell off. New pad seems to be growing in okay and pushing the remaining piece of the hoof pad out without any assistance from me. There's no bleeding, infection or discharge. I can touch it without him hollering, though he still doesn't like being handled. He still has a very healthy appetite and manages to keep up with the herd.

You can tell he wants to get up with the other babies on the climbing toys but doesn't have the wheels just yet. So he stands at the base and hollers until one of the others comes back down.

He still walks on three. Kind of funny because when he's bouncing along those big ears start making quite a breeze. Looks like an old UH-1 Huey prepping for dust off.

Anyway, good job you all. Correctly diagnosing trauma as the culprit. :thumb: Unless new complications arise, as long as the new growth remains free of dirt and droppings and his appetite stays up, I'm just going to let nature take its course.

8-31 edit: Tripod was running full stride this afternoon. He's not hobbling along anymore. It's still a little tender, but he's putting it down in a normal running stride.

13. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Thats great to hear that he is doing better!! :clap:

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wonderful news that he has healed!! The trauma that caused the tear in the sole could have been from getting caught in a rock crevice....had that happen to a kid here a few years ago. Glad to hear that he is playing as a kid should!

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    OH thats great news -- Always love it when they are healed up :) no one likes a sick or injured animal :sigh:

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that's terrific.....so happy to hear that.... :leap: :greengrin: :thumbup: