The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am brand new to the goat game and have 3 four month olds that I adopted about three weeks ago. They were dam raised with very little human interaction, so I’ve been working on learning their trust. Every night I go into their barn with treats and sit with them. Everything has been going great until about three days ago. The smallest one, female, has started crying after she eats the treats and holding her head in the air. There is also a loud gurgling sound coming from her tummy that started a couple of days ago. The crying and head movement lasts about a minute or two and goes away. I have no idea what this could be and am growing very concerned. She eats normally and is active. We feed orchard grass freely. Their nightly treats are a mix of manna pro probiotic treats, manna pro goat balancer, and cracked corn (a handful of each for all three goats to share). Is this something I need to get a vet involved for, or is there something I can do here for her? Thank you all in advance.

·
Administrator
85,553 Posts
Corn is not good for goats.

The doe kid may have blockage in to e throat maybe as to why she is doing that.
A video would help so we can see what she is doing.

Or is she trying to look at the world upside down and propellering her head?

Her rumen may of kicked in if you hear them loud from the left side.
Gut sounds are perfect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Corn is not good for goats.

The doe kid may have blockage in to e throat maybe as to why she is doing that.
A video would help so we can see what she is doing.

Or is she trying to look at the world upside down and propellering her head?

Her rumen may of kicked in if you hear them loud from the left side.
Gut sounds are perfect.
thank you so much for your response! I will try and get a video today. She just holds her head straight up 90* to her body. I will stop feeding them the corn. Will the other feed still be ok or should I just keep her on hay and water for a few days?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Are they gobbling up their snacks super fast? I've discovered that some of my little ones will do this with pellet feed if they eat it too fast. They scream, tilt their head back, and begin to foam at the mouth. A quick drink of water and they would be fine, but I had to put their face in the water bucket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are they gobbling up their snacks super fast? I've discovered that some of my little ones will do this with pellet feed if they eat it too fast. They scream, tilt their head back, and begin to foam at the mouth. A quick drink of water and they would be fine, but I had to put their face in the water bucket.
That makes so much sense! I switched to a little bit bigger pellets and threw some hay in the bowl to slow them down. She still cries after but isn’t sounding distressed like before. And she isn’t making loud tummy noises. My husband suggested she was eating too fast and I think that was it!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I would still check her. Crying out in pain is just not good. try and stop the treats and try different softer treats. Like cucumber slices or apple even banana. Once the crying stops all together vary the treats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your advice. She has greatly improved since removing corn from their diet. We had our vet come out and check them all over (wanted to create a baseline for their health), and he said they all look great. I greatly appreciate the tips and help so that I can create a happy and healthy home for them!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.