DIY buck anti mating apron suggestions

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    So I have a mini alpine buck, that shares a fence line with the ladies. I have a 10 month old nigi doeling that goes into HEAVY heats, and i am not planning on breeding her until next year, AND i definitley wouldn't breed a FF nigi to a mini alpine. So, of course i don't want an accidental breeding. the fence has at least 2-4 inches between them, but i am worrying lol.

so, i need a buck apron. i want to try to make my own before buying one, but i cant find anything on the interweb of making one, so any suggestion would be so helpful!
    thank you!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    SPEND THE MONEY on a house of bacchus apron with chest strap! They are not horribly expensive but the peace of mind you will have is worth any cost. I promise! I think they might be fifty bucks for a med? And they are made to last.

Since the doeling has heavy heats there is tellin how nutty they both may become. And that apron will save her every single time so long as you check the straps every day. :)

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I dunno...Merlin broke his chest strap and wiggled out of his apron so I had to build a run near my garage when I have my 10 month old Doelings with the herd. That way I can rotate everyone around and have no oops breedings. Other times I put my Doelings in the run so Merlin can be with the herd.
    Until my fences are finished it's the only way to prevent accidental breedings.
    I'm not sold on the aprons except when the bucks are little ...the plastic buckles are too easily broken by a determined love sick boy.

4. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Oh no!

GoofyGoat likes this.
  5. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Did I not start a thread asking for experiences with aprons? Anyone who can find it? :hide:

6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    How do I know what size to get?

7. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I got a med i think for Slick.... he is a mini nubian. But if you look on the web site it has pics of how to measure. Slick is long in the body so i had get a size up from what he really needed to cover the important part. If you have any questions June (i think is her name) is super patient and helpful answerin ANYTHING you ask her.

8. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    :up: (Junipurr, I think?)

9. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
  10. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Trollmor and Iluvlilly! like this.
  11. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    And I could handle the link-making, though I am at a loss when searching for older entries. Are we perhaps co-operating? :)

(Corrected a spelling mistake.)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    NigerianNewbie likes this.
  12. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    :up::nod: