The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made a creep gate/feeder out of a livestock panel? I have a panel that we got for cheap at rural king because it was bent. I need a gate to put up in the doorway to let the babies get to the grain. I was thinking of snipping off some of the sections and then screwing the panel between 2x4s and then somehow attach it to the doorway so that it could be removed when not needed. Has anyone done something similar and do you have pictures?

I'm trying to do this myself on the down low and keep my husband out of it. He's a welder by trade and I love him dearly but I don't want this to turn into a 3 day project that involves trips to the steel yard.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I have never cut a hole in one. I could never bring myself to do that lol and also it’s almost impossible to cut them flush where it’s not sharp. A friend of mine did this and she is happy with it but my luck someone would get cut. So if you do it that way I would get some 2X4s or something to line the hole.
Or what you could do is use the panel more as a fence. Let’s say hour door way is exactly 16’ pull it back a few feet and out a T post in and then get some 2X4s and make a little gate that the gaps are wide enough so the kids can fit threw. It would also give you a nice gate to go in and out of. I have a metal gate that my brother gave me that is absolutely perfect for the kids I can measure the gaps for you if you would like.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
If you use the panel, which will work, you will need to grind the snipped off part, as Jessica stated..its impossible to cut flush. Just want to be sure it's not sharp or snagable (is that a word lol)
Framing it is is good idea to stabilize construction.

·
Registered
815 Posts
We used a wooden pallet with a board taken out and just tied up across a stall gate one time for lambs. Worked okay. Know we have a gate on a stall with a center piece that lifts out creating a creep.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have mixed miniature goats and my creep feeder is a regular pen with a piece of panel snap hooked upside down. It is big enough for the babies to get through. I also have a piece of cattle panel with slightly bigger holes - upside down, these are perfect. I use split hose tie-wrapped over ends or a dremel tool grinder. I sometimes use cut pool noodles or pipe insulation. Sometime goats eat or pick at the coverings, the pool noodles didn't last long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts