DIY Fecal Exams

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by rjfoster03, Feb 18, 2011.

1. rjfoster03

rjfoster03 Member

May 29, 2010
    Always wanting to learn more, I wanted to see if anyone does their own fecal examinations. If so, can you recommend a starter kit, with and without a microscope?

Thanks for any information.

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I bought my micro off of ebay, it is student microscope and was approx $100.00 and then check out this site for how to http://www2.luresext.edu/goats/library/fec.html#fec I also highly recommend getting a Mcmaster's chambered slide, there are a couple of websites that sell them.....the websites also sell complete fecal kits, but they are a bit pricey....... one is www.biogentics.com

3. figforest

figforest New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I just received my microscope in the mail today. I bought it off Amazon for about $125. I did not yet order the McMasters chambered slide, but I will soon. Tomorrow I will be found following goats around holding plastic baggies up under their tails.........LOL! :ROFL:

I have been a vet tech for 20 years, so I can read my own fecals. I recently left my vet tech job (the goats take up so much of my time!), so I no longer have access to the microscope at work. I dug deep and scraped the money together to order my own scope. I am sure with 30 goats and a farm full of dogs as well, it will more than pay for itself.

4. rjfoster03

rjfoster03 Member

May 29, 2010
    Do you all have a specific kit you purchased or recommend?

5. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    figforest: tips for the baggies. get them to run :) :laugh:

6. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I got a microscope from opticplanet.com (hope thats right) It was under a hundred. I really want the Mcmaster's chambered slides. I can see how that would be sooo much easier...if I could ever find a stinken egg! I'm not really sure how you would do a fecal without a microscope. Gotta admit...I'm fairly new too so its very possible theres some kind of technology I'm not awair of. Oh ya, the microscope I found has a little camera that hooks up to your computer. Very cool but it makes it a little less clear and the microscope isn't the best in the first place. Whats nice is when I start getting a headache, I can put it on the computer and make it a little better on my eyes. The site that cdtrum listed was really helpfull.
    I have been doing what fiascofarms said they do. I'm a little puzzled though because so much forage material gets onto the coverslip that when you put it on the slide, its got too much stuff between the slide and coverslip that the coverslip doesnt lay flat.

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    That's where the chambered slide comes in handy......it allows the eggs to float up to the top pass the forage material......A little tip also, once I load up the slide I wait several minutes to allow it all to settle, heavy material to go to bottom and eggs to float to top.

I follow Langston's instructions exactly and I did not buy a fecal kit, I just collected my own things.......dollor stores are great for getting supplies! I also follow the alternative way on Langston's site to make sure I have 2 grams of feces, buy using a 3cc syringe......I know now that it takes about 8 normal size adult goat berries.