The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished my feeder and got it put out today. I imagine other people have cats, even indoor cats. I have 5 so i go through a ton of litter, but can't justify disposing of the litter buckets. I can't stand wastefulness. I use them for EVERYTHING. Carrying water, tools, small trash can, hold provisions in my storm shelter, etc. The lids keep everything clean and dry as well. So i have a ton of them saved up. This is just what I came up with, maybe it's already been done.

I just screwed them into a 2x4 and wired the whole thing to a couple T-posts.

Let me know what you guys think or have any questions!

I normally have a galvanized stock tank out for water, but it's rusting so I'm working on it. I'll make another post when im done about repairing it if anyone is interested, if there isn't already one. Im sure most of us use them or the composite ones.

People have been super helpful and I consider myself handy, so i wanna give back however I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,041 Posts
That looks great! (thumbup) How's it been working so far? I wish I had more of those tidy cat bins. We switched to a cheaper litter and so we don't get them anymore. I love them for keeping my feed in. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keeps the mice/rats out too! Its only been a few hours, so ill let you know. Lol ive used cheaper litter, but it doesn't scoop well. I've tried cheaper options and they just don't work good enough to justify the savings. Plus you get a super useful bucket!

·
8,066 Posts
Great idea! They are good for storing water during power outages, too. (and the plastic cat litter jugs are great for hauling water- the jugs hold 2-1/2 gal.) (I don't have cats, but a friend save cat litter containers for me).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am definitely interested in the stock tank repair (having a stock tank in need of repair...)
Does yours have a hole or anything? Mine has some rusted spots im treating, but nothing rusted through all the way.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Does yours have a hole or anything? Mine has some rusted spots im treating, but nothing rusted through all the way.
I have one like that too. The guy at Home Depot said to use that flex seal stuff and paint the inside of it. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,481 Posts
Nice! I'm about to use one to make a lambar! I had open-top ones and my grown does would drink the milk out of the top LOL.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Flex seal is supposed to be safe for drinking water after it cures, from what I've read. I prefer a stronger structural hold first. Depending on how big it is, I'd use something like JB weld. And since the tank is galvanized, i have some rust-oleum cold galvanizing spray paint that should fit the bill there as well. Make sure all the rust is removed, either mechanically with a grinder/steel brush and/or chemically with evaporust. Then i do my repair, primer it, then cold galvanizing paint. I need to re-silicone it as well, as i wanted to remove the rust under that. Ill do a better write up with pics today and link it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Flex seal is supposed to be safe for drinking water after it cures, from what I've read. I prefer a stronger structural hold first. Depending on how big it is, I'd use something like JB weld. And since the tank is galvanized, i have some rust-oleum cold galvanizing spray paint that should fit the bill there as well. Make sure all the rust is removed, either mechanically with a grinder/steel brush and/or chemically with evaporust. Then i do my repair, primer it, then cold galvanizing paint. I need to re-silicone it as well, as i wanted to remove the rust under that. Ill do a better write up with pics today and link it.
Yeah, mine has a few rust holes and needs new drain fittings. I was considering fiberglass. Except I don't know how to do fiberglass.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, mine has a few rust holes and needs new drain fittings. I was considering fiberglass. Except I don't know how to do fiberglass.
I cut the silicone seal out around the bottom perimeter. Used evaporust soaked paper towels (can also use vinegar) to eat the rust, wire brush cup to get whatever is left and discolored areas. Let evaporust soak a bit more, rinse. Make sure the metal is clean and dry before applying epoxy/jbweld. Used both of these steel epoxies - the jbweld brand mixed a bit thinner and was easier to spread on. Jbweld putty would be good for bigger holes, all i had was pin holes. I wanted to fill in the pitting. This stuff cures quickly but i left it overnight anyway. Going to sand it and make sure no pinholes are left. Then spray with cold galv and re-silicone the inside the perimeter when i decide what to use. The stock tank company Behlen does sell the sealant, $14/tube.

Ill add more pics when im done. I got the epoxy and cold galv from TSC, but you can get almost anywhere.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts