The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I'm trying to find a diy goat feed mix with no grain in it. My daughter and I are highly sensitive to grains and I'm afraid it'll pass into their milk.

So far I have alfalfa pellets that I soak overnight and BOSS.

What else can I put in here to feed lactating does and babies?
Corn? Beet pulp? To get a balanced ratio.
I found plenty of old threads but no updated ones and most had oats or barley in it. I may be able to sneak oats in but that's only if I can't find another mix.

My goats have all day access (not at night) to orchard mix hay, I put acv in their water and I provide them a squirt each of probiotics once a week along with their herbal dewormer. They also get free choice minerals and baking soda.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
Well, corn IS a grain...not a very nutritious one...
And they should not need free choice baking soda, or weekly probiotics. The probiotics won't hurt, but they should not need weekly gut repopulation. Is this because of the weekly herbal worming?

What precisely is it about the grain you and your daughter are sensitive to? If we knew that, we could better tell you if it was likely to go through the dissassembly process in the 4 stomachs and the assembly process in other organs to be present in the milk.

Gluten proteins and the common chemical glyphosate can end up in milk. But gluten intolerance and lactose intolerance look a lot like each other. Many Celiac sufferers are told to completely avoid dairy. And if is the ubiquitous glyphosate you are reacting to, that is in almost all alfalfa now. Also in BOSS. Most other things contained in grain won't end up in milk that I'm aware of, but there are real scientists here that will know more than I.

Your hay may not be sprayed directly, but there is such a thing as drift, so when the farmers are spraying Round-Up (glyphosate), it really does go everywhere. It could be on your hay.

That all said, there is at least one brand, Summit out of Canada, of alfalfa that is certified GMO-free, so the glyphosate should either be absent, or greatly reduced. That is one I'm able to buy at one of the feed stores I use. And this product
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...rn-forage-organic-alfalfa-pellets-40-lb?rfk=1
shouldn't have any at all.

But I'm only guessing at what the problem might be...

Many people do raise goats entirely on hay and forage, no concentrates at all. And perhaps that would suit you? You'll have to take only the milk that the kids leave, but that can be a blessing too, as it means you only milk once a day, not 2 times a day. I went through a time when the goats got hay and forage, and only got alfalfa pellets on the milk stand. Depending on how many goats were lactating, I'd get enough milk to feed the dogs and make cheese, or I'd get enough milk to cook breakfast with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We can't drink cows milk but can drink goats milk no problem. We were tested and are not celiac... We just have an intolerance. With that in mind it was a bad enough intolerance that my daughter's large intestines were destroyed by gluten..it was completely raw and bleeding. After a year of diet and a minimal amount of meds she is good. I don't get stomach issues but I get very sore joints so I'm basing what causes me joint pain by taking notice..which for the most part is very noticeable within hours of eating gluten. I'm still unsure about the oats, I'm getting ready to test those again. But corn is no problem, i eat corn a lot.
Now in the year my daughter's stomach healed we bought the goats and drank goats milk from tgecone doe..while she was recieving sweet feed. So it obviously didnt destroy my daughters gut nor cause me more pain.
Biggest thing is trying to get away from sugared up sweet feed but while doing that trying to avoid the few grains we know we ourselves can't handle. My nigerian doe got fat off the sweet feed while lactating (even at half a cup) and vet told me take her off it. But I wouldn't mind finding a few other nutritious resources. Like I said I'm giving her alfalfa pellets (they actually are the organic pellets from tsc you showed in link :) And I'm giving her a tbsp BOSS. The probiotics is to mix up herbal wormer in as my goats love probiotics and down it like it were candy and since I only have a few goats and only plan on no more than 4-5 goats I can afford that small amount of probs weekly for them. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
Protein tubs have grain products in them. They always have something similar to this, "Plant Protein Products, Processed Grain By-Products," in the ingredient list. @Shannon Horner, Thank you for the clarification. I'll see what I can come up with

OK, here's an idea.
https://www.drperlmutter.com/eat/list-of-gluten-free-foods/
and
https://nuts.com/gluten-free/cookingbaking/seeds/
have seed, grain, and nut ideas that are gluten free. I've seen a LOT of these things in bird seed mixes in the larger feed/farm stores. Perhaps look there and see what you find? You can add things like split peas and wild rice, both of which are gluten free. You've already mentioned beet pulp. Also, good seed mixes sprout easily, as do sunflower seeds. This could increase the volume and lessen the cost.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah. So she probably dont need corn. If I have to I can provide sweet feed for does while they nurse the first few weeks and for the new babies. But I'd something else within that first month. I found one person on goat spot mention 40% oats, 40% alfalfa and 20% Boss but no one ever got back whether it was an okay mix. Trying to find something similar.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I thought sweet feed had grains in it. Am I mistaken?:what:

Reactions: mariarose

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
Sweetfeed does have grain products

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
seems like that would be allot of boss... i would divide boss and beet pulp to 10%.Too much boss will coat their stomach and they will be unable to absorb nutrients, but it does great when given in smaller amounts...
the diet sounds great though.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
Im assuming it does, which is other reason I'd like to get away from it. See how very new i am. Shannon
Just feeding alfalfa pellets on the milk stand will work, I've done it.

Did you see my edited post above, for ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
I have dairy goats and I feed chaffehaye in the winter on the milk stand. They waste free choice alfalfa 24-7, and have access to the acorns in the pasture from noon til dusk.
The pasture is a mix plants designed for dairy goats.
I only give grain mixed with alfalfa pellets in the summer because the chaffehaye molds in our heat here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Just feeding alfalfa pellets on the milk stand will work, I've done it.

Did you see my edited post above, for ideas?
Ok, I didnt see that. I'll look into it. I don't need to worry about any ca/ph ratio because I have does, correct?

If i dont have to worry about ratio I'll try alfalfa pellets, fresh veggies, and some seeds. I'll add beet pulp only if any start losing weight. Sound good?! Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.