The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a DIY lungworm test (modified Baermann test) and wanted to know if I was doing it right. Here is what I did:

"A convenient method to recover larvae is a modification of the Baermann technique, in which large fecal samples (25–30 g) are wrapped in tissue paper or cheese cloth and suspended or placed in water contained in a beaker. The water at the bottom of the beaker is examined for larvae after 4 hr; in heavy infections, larvae may be present within 30 min. "

"Place a few drops on a slide, add a cover slip, and examine the slide under a microscope. The slide can be scanned with the 4X objective lens for the presence of larvae, which can then be examined more closely at a higher power. "

I followed the above instructions (info from two different sites) and used lukewarm water, although it could have been warmer. I didn't see any lungworm and I examined water drawn from the bottom of the beaker (after letting it sit overnight) on two separate slides. Apparently lungworm larvae are really big so you would be able to see them if they were there.

Does anyone have any tips? Should I have used warmer water? I know we have lungworm here because we sent samples to meadowmist lab last year and a bunch of the goats had it, including our oldest goat who got pneumonia due to it (we treated them). So it would be handy if I could learn to do the tests since it is so common here.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
I have not done this test but I believe @goathiker has??

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I will just treat if I suspect lungworm then, but also keep trying with the test. From what I read if there is a heavy load of lungworm and the goat is actively coughing then you should be able to easily see the larvae.

The weird thing is when we had the goats tested last year a lot of the ones with lungworm had no obvious symptoms. The one with pneumonia barely coughed at all. The reason I tried to do the test this time is one of our goats (Wilbur) had a 105 F fever and was coughing. He is better after a course of Tylan 200 but I wanted to check and see if he has lungworm which could have triggered pneumonia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts