The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve seen some drama going on with DNA testing in NDs discovering incorrect parentage (whether accidentally or intentionally misrepresented) and entire lines getting their papers pulled. As there is no grade registration for ND, if papers are pulled you are out of luck no matter how nice the animal.

We’re on a reservation list for two doelings this year. I’m wondering if we should request DNA parentage verification before buying. I have no reason to suspect anything is amiss, but I don’t want to invest $$$$ and end up with stock that can’t be registered or has their papers pulled.

We are in the process of DNAing our bucks, and plan to pull hair for the whole herd so parentage can be verified eventually, especially when selling bucks. It’s been heartbreaking to see what some people are going through and I’m sure there is much more to come as DNA typing of bucks become required by ADGA.

Do you guys think it is reasonable to request DNA verification before putting down a deposit on two doelings?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
I wouldn't be offended if a buyer asked me to do this, no.

Do you have sources for the current drama? I'm worried and want to make sure none of our animals are affected.
 

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
I would have no problem with a buyer requesting. I would most likely do it only if they had a deposit on the animal though. With conditions that if the DNA was wrong, the deposit would be refunded. But, I have my boys all done and hand breed (but we know accidents do happen and sometimes sneakily) so I wouldn't have a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
I've seen some of the drama going down and wow, what a mess! I feel so awful for the innocent people whose entire herds are affected.

I'd be totally fine with DNA verifying the kids (especially in light of the recent issues) at the buyer's expense. I just had to DNA test 4 kids because the litter had 2 sires, and the tests plus registration was quite a expensive. If there is any doubt as to parentage, it's absolutely worth it though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
Honestly I can see why your nervous but if you asked me I would tell you to go buy from someone else. I am not going to jump threw any extra hoops or have any more extra expenses for the fact that someone doesn’t trust me because of what a few other unethical breeders have done. Yes I’m sure that is very blunt and very rude but I like hassle free and have NEVER given anyone a reason to not think I was totally honest.
You should also know before you bring this up, if you do that 1. It’s $40 to DNA, I’m sure the breeder is not willing to pay that. And 2. A breeder I know was unsure of a buckling sire so sent DNA in back in July and between the Corona and being under staffed and anything else companies like to use as a excuse right now she didn’t get her results back until the first of February. Even if I was willing to do it and I didn’t know it would take that long you bet there would be some hard feelings if I had to feed someones animal for 7 months all to ease their mind.
Most breeders though are NOT going to risk a bad name or being booted out of a registry over the wrong parents. Heck I have a nice little doeling that I’m not totally sure who the sire is and she will be going to the sale yard. I’m taking a few hundred dollars loss because my name is worth WAY more then that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Do you have sources for the current drama? I'm worried and want to make sure none of our animals are affected.
The drama I've seen is on Facebook. The people who have been wronged don't want to name the breeders because they're "taking the high road," but since the ripple effect is so widespread and could potentially affect so many more people, i think it does more harm than good to be secretive. The ones I've seen mentioned are Wood Bridge Farm (Sir Charles in particular) and Valley Edge Farm. Both Nigerian breeders.
 

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
Agreed, it's expensive and it would most likely be at buyers expense for most people.

I have to DNA kids from these next 3 girls due this weekend. Bucks got out and I have 2 sires. I will DNA the does but all bys will get wethered and sold. I don't want to spend the $$ to deal with that. I may even sell some of the girls unpapered. It's a big expense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
If you're an ADGA member, DNA testing is $30 and it took about 3 weeks to get mine done total, from requesting the tests to getting the results. This was in December/January. It's a hassle because you have to fill out information online, then wait for ADGA to snail mail the paperwork/labels to you, then you mail the samples to the lab and the paperwork to ADGA. Their new website is supposed to be updated so that you can print the forms yourself rather than waiting for ADGA to send them. But yes, it's definitely not something I can afford to do unless the buyer will pay for it, and I like Jubillee's idea of a deposit first. I think it's so cool that the testing is even available though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
If you're an ADGA member, DNA testing is $30 and it took about 3 weeks to get mine done total, from requesting the tests to getting the results. This was in December/January. It's a hassle because you have to fill out information online, then wait for ADGA to snail mail the paperwork/labels to you, then you mail the samples to the lab and the paperwork to ADGA. Their new website is supposed to be updated so that you can print the forms yourself rather than waiting for ADGA to send them. But yes, it's definitely not something I can afford to do unless the buyer will pay for it, and I like Jubillee's idea of a deposit first. I think it's so cool that the testing is even available though!
I completely agree that it is appropriate to ask the buyer to pay this fee if they request the test. As a breeder I wouldn't expect to pay it out of pocket unless I was doing it for myself.

I also agree it's really pointless and counterproductive for those who have discovered animals with falsified or incorrect lineages to be secretive when this could affect the entire community.

Personally I'm currently trying to initiate DNA testing for two of my Nigerians, but ADGA'S website says the printable form is somehow "currently unavailable." If they're going to make buck testing required across the board in just two years, I hope they're able to streamline this process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Sir Charles one and Valley’s Edge were the ones I know about. It’s so awful how many people’s herds are affected. And I’m sure we’re just going to see more as more get DNA typed.

It is expensive, and I might just contact the breeder to see if sire and dams have been typed then offer to pay for the kids typing myself. I have two litters this year where I’ll be typing the kids as we bred to two different bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Even if you DNA type these goats, what happens if their grand-parents or great-grandparents have incorrect registry information?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even if you DNA type these goats, what happens if their grand-parents or great-grandparents have incorrect registry information?
I know, it's an awful thought. I could currently have goats that get papers pulled if something is off from great grand parents. Hopefully once all bucks are required to be tested things will settle out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,647 Posts
I've seen some drama going on with DNA testing in NDs discovering incorrect parentage (whether accidentally or intentionally misrepresented) and entire lines getting their papers pulled. As there is no grade registration for ND, if papers are pulled you are out of luck no matter how nice the animal.

We're on a reservation list for two doelings this year. I'm wondering if we should request DNA parentage verification before buying. I have no reason to suspect anything is amiss, but I don't want to invest $$$$ and end up with stock that can't be registered or has their papers pulled.

We are in the process of DNAing our bucks, and plan to pull hair for the whole herd so parentage can be verified eventually, especially when selling bucks. It's been heartbreaking to see what some people are going through and I'm sure there is much more to come as DNA typing of bucks become required by ADGA.

Do you guys think it is reasonable to request DNA verification before putting down a deposit on two doelings?
I saw tidbits about this. Those poor breeders and buyers that this happened to. I would love to know more details cause the ones given were very minimal. :/. But i also think the people involved are very good and professional about their explanation too. But i also think there is a lawsuit or many from this that will happen too. As it will ruin many many farms. So maybe they have to be hush hush.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
I know, it's an awful thought. I could currently have goats that get papers pulled if something is off from great grand parents. Hopefully once all bucks are required to be tested things will settle out.
Good luck with everything!
 

·
Registered
ADGA Nigerian Dwarf Goats
Joined
·
296 Posts
We had an Oops breeding this year. We have 3 kids on the ground that we are unsure of the sire. ( the bucks got out with the does which has never happened in the 8 years we have been breeding)
BUT, all of our bucks are being dna tested now, we aredna testingthe doeling and the boys will go as wethers. We will inform the buyers about the wethers sire and offer them the option to dna test if they want to know the parents. But that would be at their expense since I do sell the wethers for considerably less. ;) But being honest is mych more important to me.
 

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
I saw tidbits about this. Those poor breeders and buyers that this happened to. I would love to know more details cause the ones given were very minimal. :/. But i also think the people involved are very good and professional about their explanation too. But i also think there is a lawsuit or many from this that will happen too. As it will ruin many many farms. So maybe they have to be hush hush.
The amount of money that some people invest in these big-name herd animals, it doesn't surprise me if there are lawsuits. If you built your entire herd for years and then one day, all of it is null and void...that would be such a heartbreaking thing.

I see that it's in the ND side a lot...I know it's happened in the Nubians...has anyone heard what herd or specific animals from the Nubians have been affected? I turned off FB a few weeks ago for a break so I have been out of the loop.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,647 Posts
The amount of money that some people invest in these big-name herd animals, it doesn't surprise me if there are lawsuits. If you built your entire herd for years and then one day, all of it is null and void...that would be such a heartbreaking thing.

I see that it's in the ND side a lot...I know it's happened in the Nubians...has anyone heard what herd or specific animals from the Nubians have been affected? I turned off FB a few weeks ago for a break so I have been out of the loop.
I think i may have been making minis? And yes that is what i thought about holy cow all the people that spent big bucks and their whole herds are based on a few animals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We’re fortunate right now that we’re only a few years in so have a lot of diverse bloodlines. However, we’ve tried to step up our game, so if our new buck is affected we’re out a ton of money, and he’s super nice. Really makes me gun-shy to invest in anything. The ones I have now are already a sunk cost.
 

·
Fair-Haven
Joined
·
4,667 Posts
I DNA type my bucks and hand breed so I know who is who. If there is ever a question, I will test the kids as well. As a seller, I want to have my buyer's confidence in what they are paying for is what they are getting. I will not test all kids, if the buyer wants to do that it's fine, because I know I won't have a problem. They can also pay for this before they leave my farm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,274 Posts
I just found out that one of my bucks (who died shortly after I got him but did manage to breed at least 2 does) is from one of the farms who has the questionable DNA. The people I got him from have a couple of their does who are now in question. They have a small show herd and have put a lot of time and money into their animals, not to mention trust in the breeder. They have tried to get in touch with the breeder (who they also consider a friend) but the breeder has not returned any calls, emails, messages or texts.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top