The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Some friend. What a scumbag.

Honestly if the ADGA doesn't ban this person for life I'm going to lose a lot of faith in them as an organization. This isn't the occasional one-off accident, which is totally excusable with livestock keeping, this is what appears to be a years-long campaign of fraud.

·
Registered
449 Posts
From what I understand, the source breeder is responsible for all the corrections? I’m not sure how to enforce that but I guess it’s fair?

·
8,066 Posts
I have buck from a well known breeder who is way up in the ADGA organization. ADGA sent me a letter stating that the parentage of that buck is in question and that I would be receiving a DNA test kit in the mail. 6 weeks after that- I just received the kit. (thanks US mail). Surprised me to see that even big time responsible breeders can make mistakes!

The breeder said the doe had twins, my buck and a sister. She somehow overlooked the sister's dna test until she was 3 yrs. old. That doe's sire was not who was on the papers- big oops. My buck may have a different sire! Apparently, the other buck loose and someone forgot to tell the breeder! (yes, does can get bred by 2 different bucks and have kids with 2 different dads!) Of course the breeder was horrified and embarrassed. I am glad it got discovered before I registered 15 kids from last year! (who says procrastination is bad)

So, the breeder is now DNA testing each kid before it leaves the breeder's farm. I think it would be fine to ask for DNA confirmation. It would protect you and the breeder. I would think maybe splitting the cost would be fair. Or the breeder could tack it onto the sale price.

Isn't the ADGA site down right now for their switching over to a new system?

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
We have used buck from the breeder in question for YEARS. Even when I used bucks from other farms, they usually were from her breedings. Thankfully, I only have a tiny herd. I have been reassured that my does are clear. Their sire's sire was in question. But apparently there were enough folks that previously did dna testing that proved that breeding was true. Still waiting to find out about the buck we sold to @lottsagoats1 . It's a real nail biter, especially considering that Valleys-Edge has GORGEOUS animals - very dairy and very correct, and such easy keepers. There is a reason why so many people want/have her goats!

·
Registered
172 Posts
One of our bucks and one of our does has their DNA on file. The breeder did it before we bought them.
I am planning on DNA my other buckling and any other intact buck I plan to keep. I wouldn't be offended if someone asked me to DNA a kid I was selling but I would be adding that cost to the sale price. Its not free so...
If I had a question of who the sire was due to the bucks getting out or some mistake on my part I would surely DNA the kids before they even went up for sale.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts