DNA Testing Necessary?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Goat Lover 98, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Goat Lover 98

Goat Lover 98 Nazarene Valley Saanens

Due to my crazy breeding season, I wasn't sure if my Saanen doe was bred my Saanen buck, or my Nigerian. I was going to have DNA Parentage Verification performed on the kid(s) so I could register them, but she kidded today with one buck, and he's HUGE! I'd say he weighs about ten pounds. Do you think it's really necessary to do the testing now? I don't think the kid would be that big if it was half Nigerian.

Thanks in advance!

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Moms genetics can play a large roll...so yes, I would still DNA test rather than try registering as a purebred Saanen when there is a chance it is half nigerian. When in doubt.... test. :)

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    always best to test to be able to be 100% honest

4. Goat Lover 98

Goat Lover 98 Nazarene Valley Saanens

5. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I think it's a good time to ask
    Just curious, you know how goats hve pedigrees and such and say who the Dam and sire are... How do you know that for sure? What if the goats sire was different but the owner didn't keep track properly or maybe wanted its genetics to look better? Do you think that happens?

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yes alyssa, it does happen. there are plenty of unethical breeders out there

7. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    I was just thinking that the only way to make sure is to do DNA tests every time because you can't trust people. :(

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    There are some cattle registries that require dna testing, and some people want it to be brought in for goats. I hope it doesnt brcause i wont be able to afford it

9. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    That was my thought. It is too expensive todo on every kid and dam and site every time :s
    I hope they don't and just trust people

10. ptgoats45

ptgoats45 Goat Girl

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    All Morgan horses are DNA tested. When you send in the application a couple weeks later they send you a kit to put some hair in from the horse you are registering to send off for testing. With the Morgans, since the parents are already DNA'd you only have to send in hair on the foal.

It also costs about $100 to register a Morgan foal under 12 months.

Unfortunately there will always be unethical breeders, you just have to do your best to "judge" them on whether they are honest or not. I do hope it never comes to all animals requiring DNA to be registered as that would be pretty costly. If it does I'm sure there will be plenty of people complain, or quit registering because they can't afford it, or because they can no longer lie about a goats' parentage.