The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
Joined
·
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to what I read, acorns are only toxic in large quantities, and most years my goats have eaten them with no problems. Now Keturah is losing her cud (dropping it out of her mouth) and it's full of acorns. I think she has an upset tummy. :( Obviously I should try to stop her acorn eating, but should I discard the milk in the meantime?
 

· I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
Joined
·
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump
 

· I'm watching you
Joined
·
22,734 Posts
No, the acorns are not going to poison the milk. If a lot of tannins are getting in it, you'll be able to taste the bitterness. I suspect you're doe has a case of Acidosis from the acorns, treating for mild bloat as well as poisoning would be good.

A good way of getting rid of excess acorns is to let someone ride their motorcycle or 4 wheeler around your pasture. They will smash all the acorns into the ground for you.
 

· I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
Joined
·
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Goathiker!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top