do angora goats blow their coats?

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by sgian, Mar 26, 2009.

1. sgian

sgian New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    missouri
    Do they? How warm does it need to be for them to blow their coats? I've seen a couple references to angoras blowing coats, but I haven't found any details. I guess this is another to shear or not to shear question, since we have 4 angora goats in a pasture with just a 3-sided shelter without heat. The mothers with kids and our buck and wether have been sheared already, but they are in a barn with a heat lamp.

It's been in the 50's and 60's during the day so I'm worried about them blowing their coats, but it will drop into the upper 30's and lower 40's at night later in the week so my wife is worried about them getting cold. Looking at them today it looked like they are losing their locks so I'm concerned about them blowing their coats, but my wife thinks they are fine.

Another reason we want to know for sure whether angoras blow their coats is that on the goats we sheared, we didn't shear well around the udders, heads and male private parts for fear of cutting them.

FYI, we've had goats for over a year but just switched to angoras this winter, so we've only had most of these goats for just 2-3 months.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I just wanted to say hi and Welcome you.. :wave:

I have boers and don't know the answer ..but hope someone else will come along soon and answer it for you... :wink:

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hello, and Welcome :wave:

No Angora goats do NOT BLOW their coats. Angora goats have to be sheered. Only the cashmere goats blow their coats and C type Pygora goats.
    Most Angora goats are sheered about now here in Colorado and again in 6 months.

4. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    The angoras will not blow their fleece, but it will matt (then felt) resulting in loss of usable fleece. I sheared my goats last weekend & our temps have been upper 30's for a daytime "high." They're in the barn (unheated) with plenty of bedding & are doing just fine.

A regular grooming trimmer instead of the shears works fine for the "sensitive" areas.

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    by blow do you mean having the fibre break and thus the animal sheds its fleece?

because some low quality angoras will shed off eventually. High quality animals shouldnt

6. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    It pretty much comes off in chunks just like when a dog sheds...... you see tufts on the ground or stuck in fenching & when you look at the coat, you'll see segments starting to release from the critter. Not all of it will "blow" at once and it doesn't leave the goat "naked" because the shorter guard hairs are left behind.

I haven't had much success "plucking or combing" the fiber cause I'm either too early or too late. :hair: Pardon the pun :ROFL:

7. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    This is Ghirardelli (Gerry), a type C Pygora, before and after we combed him out.

Sorry for the crappy quality photos.The DH doesn't like his picture taken either, so had to suprise him.

Attached Files: