Do any of you blanket yor goats during winter?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Kfin, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    We have a cold front moving in tonight and my girls don't have much of a winter coat at all. We always blanket our hroses during bad cold fronts but I feel so bad for the goats I don't know what to do for them. I gave them extra grain and alfalfa tonight, we bedded their leantos with straw but I just feel so bad for them, the horses have their blankets to keep them warm. Do you ever blanket your goats? If so what do you use? Can I use an old sweat shirt or something?

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I blanket new babies and any sick adults during cold fronts....if the temperature does a significant change down to the single digits or lower I would blanket adults (that didn't have their full winter coat yet) otherwise, I throw down alfalfa as bedding because it is so hot....really keeps them warm. :)

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have goat coats that I ordered from Hoeggers 2 winters ago when I had one get sick and loss all his hair, he wore it all winter......but until the coats arrived I used thermal underwear shirts and they worked great! We get really cold here, but I have not used the coats since my guy was sick.....at least I have them if need be.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    goats wont really grow in a winter coat if they're wearing coats because they have no need for it.
    their hair grows fast so if it gets cold quick they'll fill in.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    unless its super windy and like sleeting they will be ok -- they need to feel the cold so they build their winter coat.

If goats are sick or loose their winter coat to soon in the spring I use dog coats -- work great for miniatures but for standards I dont think they would work.

6. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I don';t use any sort of thing like that... I want more hardier goats... if you do things like this, it gives you weaker goats. They are great goats though, they pretty much all have a buddy to snuggle up with.

7. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    We dipped well below zero this last week. I have none of mine in coats. 6 months to 4 years old. The brand new babies are in the mud room. They stay in the barn and keep warm together. I don't think they'll need coats :)

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... goats do better... if you let mother nature coat them....it makes them healthier and their immune systems stronger..... :wink:

a sweater is a good idea......if they are sick.....weak...sub temp....very young and not strong......until they are healthy or strong again then the sweater goes.......... Goats are hardier than people think.... when... they are healthy.... :wink: :thumb: