The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I feed all my goats Purina goat chow. But I'm wanting to do more for there diet when nursing amd pregnant I work at a feed store and get a lot of education on feeds. And was wondering if its ok to feed goats horse grain I was thinking of mixing a mare and foal formula into my goats grain for next kidding season. What do you think?

·
1,524 Posts
I have used horse feed for the goats, yes. I like the fact that the mare and foal feed contains 5% fat and 16% protein. My goats stay in good flesh when on that feed. However, it is way too expensive for me to feed to my herd- 19.50 for 50 pounds of the horse feed plus tax vs 10.59 for 50 pounds with no tax for the goat feed. Actually I am using a high energy/high fat 16% protein dairy cow feed for my herd. They do very well on it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most manufacturs won't give any advice of label for liability reasons. I have not really decided on this I was just curious

·
1,468 Posts
I fed Safechoice performance to my goaties. They lived with my mare and everybody got into everyone else's feed. The goats had free choice access to a small barn the horse couldn't get into where they could have all the peanut hay they wanted.
I originally switched the goats to Safechoice after a particularly hot and humid summer when I was finding mold in brand new bags of my goat feed. But the Safechoice I was feeding my mare was always fresh, clean and mold-free.
My goaties never suffered any problems being on Safechoice. However, when Pan got his first vet check-up at his new home, Old McMikeys Farm, their vet said that Pan was a bit of a fattie, and he was put on a diet LOL.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yep, I feed nutrena Senior Life design DRY (no molasses) to my goats. Nutrena is about to phase out the senior life design and change their safe choice formula some, so I will have no choice but to switch to the safe choice.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I only did once and it was to save money (so not the best quality horse feed) and they did poorly on it eventhough I was mixing with goat feed.

I have heard some say mare and foal is good stuff for them but I could never afford it as its much more expensive then regular feed.

I have since switched to an all pellet feed for my goats and they do much better on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts