The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buck that ia very quiet. And a buckling that I'm planning to keep as future sire but hes always screaming bloody murder. Will he eventually quiet down?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Um... maybe? hehehe. Not much help, huh? Here is what I have seen in my personal experience: my super-vocal screamers are REALLLLY loud the first 6 to 9 months. They slow down (not so much quiet down as maybe just don't scream as often except around feeding time or rut/heat) after that and however screamy and yelly and loud they are at about a year is how they stay. I've only had three real screamers, all mini nubians, lol.... One is still young and still screaming. One I sold. The other is my buck and he still screams like a banshee, but his voice got deeper so it doesn't make me want to scream, too. Still loud and obnoxious but it doesn't make me feel like my ears are going to bleed any more.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
agreed

I agree! If they are going to quiet down then it happens around 9 months old and then however loud they are at 1 year old you're stuck with! My husband thought I was crazy for selling a doe for being too loud but it was making me hate her! Because she could see me whenever I put one foot outside my house, everytime I walked outside I was greeted with screams.

My 2 new bucks: the nubian was partially bottle fed and is too loud for my taste (he was my husband's choice) and my boer/nubian cross never makes a peep (all dam raised).

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i agree we had a doeling two years ago that everyone wanted ro send down the road, she's still here but is very quiet now it happened about 8 monthes when she was bred. same thing with my grandson's bottle baby from last year. it took her a littlr longer as we held her over to breed this fall, meanwhile she has finally stopped screaning unless she is in heat. then all bets are off!! cant wait til nov/dec to get her bred

1 - 5 of 5 Posts