The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have five goats. Four are just now a year old, and one is three. Today while feeding them their hay I discovered a few piles of chewed on hay (looked stemmy). Looks like the wads of hay that horses drop out of their mouths when they are long in the tooth. One had a bit of capillary blood on the side of it (bit cheek/tongue?). I couldn't see any injuries on any of them, and they all seemed to be eating/swallowing just fine.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
They shouldn't need their teeth floated. Goats prefer the leaves on the hay so it's possible that someone took a bit of stems and spit it out :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I googled it and couldn't seem to find a good answer. The wads of hay were where they like to lay down on some old hay stems. Maybe they were just bored but it wasn't tasty enough to swallow? Anyway I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks :)

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I would think if they are getting enough roughage they should be fine. But you never know :rolleyes:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They get good roughage around here. Between the brushy area and the stems in the hay. But when my husband gets home and can help me hold them to check better, I'll take a better gander at their teeth :)

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Today while feeding them their hay I discovered a few piles of chewed on hay (looked stemmy).
I have seen mine get a mouthful of something they didn't like, chew it for a little bit and quite deliberately spit it out. I would imagine that is happening with yours, as well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Usually if the teeth need to be floated they are older, I did have a wether needing his teeth done, he was around 8 or 9 years old though. It is not as common in goats as in horses but sometimes a couple of teeth might spike and will need to be treated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts