Do Goats Really NEED Shelter?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by JaredM, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Exactly. Arid climates, dont get cold winters. Virginia on the other hand, is much different.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Arizona is arid as well and does get pretty cold in winter. ;)

3. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hi I live in Oklahoma..we have high winds..dustdevils..tornadoes..snow..ice..freezeing rain and high temperature changes in an hour or less.
    Goats need shelter..so do horses& cattle here. They can sunburn..lose hair from freezing rain..lightning strikes our trees and telephone poles. Goats need shelter.
    They need a place thats dry..warm..and protects them from wind , rain & snow& ice. They need to be able to keep their feet dry.
    Unless you want to.lose your goats to disease, rotting feet,and stress .
    I have to put up wind blocks around hay bales. I have a birthing barn. And each paddock has a small shelter. My main pasture has a shed big enough for the horse & goats & lgd. If a tornado is comeing..they.all go in my garage.
    If you dont want to be outside in your t shirt & shorts with no shelter...why would you want your goats out there?

4. HMNS

HMNS Active Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Brown County, Ohio
    Stick around...there are so many very knowledgeable people on this site. I have found it to be an invaluable resource and am continually learning. :)

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad we helped, we are here for you if you have anymore questions. ;)

6. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    :up:

We live in a warm, wet area and our goats have hoop shelters made from tarps and cattle panel.
    Like this: https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/our-epic-shelter.208341/

But the kind of shelter you use depends on where you are located and what the weather is like.

7. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Along with all the comments saying that "yes, they need shelter" you might also check out your state and local laws regarding livestock and shelter. Most states mandate that you need some sort of shelter that meets their regulations. While all states are different, most state, at minimum, a 3 sided shelter that blocks the wind and inclement weather, is tall enough for them to stand comfortably, enough room for all to be in without over crowding, and dry flooring for them to stand or lay on without getting wet or filthy.

Moers kiko boars likes this.