Do I give it now or wait? (CD&T)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cinder, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I don't know if I've messed up or not. I need your expert opinions on what to do.

My doe is due April 4th. However, by January she was getting so big and getting pink and swollen that we thought she might have actually been bred when I got her and thus would have been due the end of January. I had taken her to be bred for a due date of March 9th. When she didn't kid by the second week of February we knew she wasn't bred when I got her. So, we thought that she would freshen on the March date. Well, that's come and gone so now I know (100%) that her due date is April 4th. (That was the second time we took her to be bred.) The problem is that I have yet to give her a CD&T because I kept thinking she was so close to delivery. Now she really is possibly 11 days away (if she kidded on day 145). My understanding is that it wouldn't be safe to give her the shot this close to her kidding date.

So - when do I give her the shot and when do I give the kids their shots after kidding? Also, just because I'm in a brain fog this morning... how much does she get? She's an Alpine 3 yr. old doe.

2. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    It will not harm the babies if you give it to her now but talkign with my boss and my friend you canwaite if you feel like until the little one/ones are born and it also will nto harm her. It is like us getting a tetness spot whiel we are preggers.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I never heard it wasn't safe to give CD&T tetnus toxiod... that late in pregnancy.....usually we give it 1 month prior to kidding.......I would give her the shot anyway...because she may hold out a little longer...at least it could be 2 weeks or so ..of it in her system and hopefully her kids will be protected ..... I believe it is 2cc ...it should say on the bottle.... :wink:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Should be given 2-4 weeks before kidding. That is so the baby gets a dose of it before it is born. Longer then 4 weeks it is out of their system and under two weeks not enough time to get into their system. I have given it and a week later had kids, that just meant that I had to give three to the babies.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what Lori said :wink:

6. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009

Here to! :greengrin:

7. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Ok great, I think I'll give it to her this week then. Where do you all give the shot? (ie: shoulder, between front legs, etc.)

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would give it to her now ....... you are running out of the time line...... :wink: give it (US ) in the arm pit area ...that is where we give it anyway.... :greengrin: