The Goat Spot Forum banner

Do I need mineral if in feed already?

687 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  toth boer goats
My feed mixed by Co-op has minerals in it. The seller says this should be all I need for minerals as well.. do I need to keep free feed mineral out as well?
Font Material property Paper Paper product Design
See less See more
Reactions: 2
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Yes, goats always need 24/7 access to a good, loose mineral.

Here's a great blog post on what to look for in minerals Goat Minerals 101

Not all minerals are made equal and some advertised as "goat minerals" are not that great. I recommend this mineral from TSC, are you able to get it? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-wind-rain-storm-all-season-75-complete?cm_vc=-10005

Oh, and welcome to The Goat Spot!! Glad you're here! 馃槃
Reactions: 3
Feed never has enough minerals in it.
Reactions: 5
I agree, feed alone will not give your goats enough minerals. My co-op store sells a goat mineral that is really good. It's called CO-OP Supreme Goat mineral. Some of the people at the store know it as the "forager" goat mineral. Sweetlix Meat Maker goat minerals are also a very good brand. I offer both to my does and they do extremely well, but you may be fine with just one. If your goats have never been on loose minerals you may want to consider copper bolusing them. Do their coats look rough, dull, or reddish?
Reactions: 5
Hi Dirk, welcome to The Goat Spot. Yes, goats need a quality loose mineral made available to them at all times. They may go through periods where they want to lick them up every day, and other periods of time they may not want any loose minerals for 2 (two) or 3 (three) days. The type of ingredients used for the loose minerals make a difference as well. Does the seller at the Co Op mentioned above keep goats and are loose minerals offered for sale there?
Reactions: 4
Yes, goats always need 24/7 access to a good, loose mineral.

Here's a great blog post on what to look for in minerals Goat Minerals 101

Not all minerals are made equal and some advertised as "goat minerals" are not that great. I recommend this mineral from TSC, are you able to get it? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-wind-rain-storm-all-season-75-complete?cm_vc=-10005

Oh, and welcome to The Goat Spot!! Glad you're here! 馃槃
Thank you so much for the help.. just got 2 Nigerian males,. New to goats!
Reactions: 1
Yes, always have loose salt and minerals free choice, in case. :)
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.