The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have two does...one is pregnant and due in a few weeks. Do i need to separate them when the one is ready to kid? or do i need to separate them after the kids are born? I'm thinking the obvious answer is yes, but thought i'd check and see if anyone thinks it is ok. I don't know how to divide the stalls other than use goat panels and i'm not sure how they will be if separated. I don't want to stress the pregnant one out by separating them...

Thoughts/

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
I think it depends on the does relationship...if they are close then separating them can cause undo stress...as long as they are gentle with each other they should be fine..goats understand the need to give space during delivery..I have had several born with in the herd with no issues...however I do have a few does who aren't high up on the food chain so to speak..that I do put them in a space of her own until the Kid(s) are strong enough to run and play and stay near mom...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are very bonded...i hope i'm there when she kids so i can monitor the situation...hopefully all will be fine. thanks.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Im sure all will be well...: )

·
14,760 Posts
You can always watch and when she gets ready to kid, you can put up a goat panel so they can still see each other. IMO if they are first timers especially, they need to have space to themselves at least for a day so they can bond with their babies, and babies bond with them.
I've heard people tell me that sometimes mom's <especially first timers> have rejected their kids in favor of being with their buddy.

I'd put the panel up, to give mom and baby space, then when you think they are ready take it down and let them all be together and see how they do.
But that's just me...

We usually have 3-4 does kid close together <out of about 5 lol> in the past, and would separate them for a few days, so babies could find their footing and get away from anyone that would try to push or butt them.
As long as the other mama is being nice and gentle with them, then they should be fine. Again JMO.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I only have two does...one is pregnant and due in a few weeks. Do i need to separate them when the one is ready to kid? or do i need to separate them after the kids are born? I'm thinking the obvious answer is yes, but thought i'd check and see if anyone thinks it is ok. I don't know how to divide the stalls other than use goat panels and i'm not sure how they will be if separated. I don't want to stress the pregnant one out by separating them...

Thoughts/
No, you do not need to separate them unless there is a problem with the delivery or with the weather, such as rain, strong wind, etc. I've kidded out as many as 26 first time does in one pen, never separated kidding does from the herd, and never had a problem.

Edit: I'm sorry, it didn't register that you were putting them in a stall. Unless you are sure you can be there when they kid, I would not put 2 does in the same stall. If the one who is pregnant is overly protective of her kids, the other doe has no way to get away from her.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put the does in at night. Its actually a double stall and I could probably put a goat panel up somehow. That was my original plan, but to do it now instead of waiting...then I started worrying that separating them now would stress momma out too much. I'm hoping i'm there when she kids as I do have a job and they aren't very helpful with regards to taking time off. :-(

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
If they are looking and getting close. I recommend separating
If they can touch noses and see each other, they will not stress as much and will calm down, cause they are still basically together.

It is for the best to seperate, you don't want the wrong babies be claimed by the other goat or disowned by both, if the smell of the wrong momma gets on the wrong kids.

You can get a hog panel, something with small squares so the kids can't get through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts