The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious question... I have come to the realization that store bought milk is just well yuck So maybe this is why I'm thinking it would be okay to milk them... I have an Oberhasli doe, she will be 6 next month, gave birth to triplets on May 22nd.. heavy milker, and usually hard to dry up, however I was having a hard time keeping her in milk around October/November, but I honestly think it was a couple of loads of old hay, that just didn't have the protein/calcium needed.... She does have a daughter I kept, but haven't seen her even try to latch on. Then I have another doe, 7 years old, a Saanen ober cross, gave birth Aug 18th... to a single buckling... same thing happened with her, but she still has her little guy around he's a wether now, but haven't seen him nurse in a long while either... I last milked them a few days before Christmas, thinking I'd just let them dry up... Now both have a fullish udder... I'm tempted to start milking them... I've been getting very good alfalfa as of late, and I think that might be part of it.... they are both possibly bred for late April deliveries.. What would you guys do? Would it be safe to go ahead and milk them? I would probably dump the milk for a few days before trying it... One, one side of her udder is warm..., which makes me think I should milk her out... I'm hoping to send off blood samples soon to confirm pregnancies as well.... I want milk, but I don't want to harm them to get it if that makes sense? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
they are both possibly bred for late April deliveries..
I would confirm pregnancy first as you would need to dry them up by next month anyway to give them at least 2 months break to grow the kids and prepare for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts