The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that they're prone to getting smelly, infected ears that need to be cleaned regularly? Any experiences? Is this true?

Reactions: Lil Boogie

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
No, not at all. In all my lamancha raising years I only had one older gal get an ear infection.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Nope. 😉

·
8,483 Posts
I've noticed that with Lamanchas, they do have problems locating what direction a sound is coming from. Upright ears are like little
satellite disks, they turn towards sound- like horses, and Swiss goats. Poor Lamanchas hear it but have to look all over to determine
the direction of the noise! I'm not sure about floppy ear breeds!

Sometimes on Lamanchas ears, the wax builds up an you just rub it off, I guess if it stayed blocking the opening, it could cause an infection.
My girls sometimes get a buildup if there is dust. (like when the idiot plows the field North of the barn on a windy day. We lease out that field and the
guy is a moron!)

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,696 Posts
I'm gonna try each and every different breed, including mini's and ND's!
I have one mini Nubian and a Nubian Alpine mix. and I have 3 Lamanchas one of which i will be selling. 1 Pygmy/ND mix and two NDs. I will be soon getting 6 more ND/Pygmy mixes and i am so excited! Of course i won't be keeping all 6 but I will most likely keep 3

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have one mini Nubian and a Nubian Alpine mix. and I have 3 Lamanchas one of which i will be selling. 1 Pygmy/ND mix and two NDs. I will be soon getting 6 more ND/Pygmy mixes and i am so excited! Of course i won't be keeping all 6 but I will most likely keep 3
Will you be milking your ND-Pygmy crosses?

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,696 Posts
Will you be milking your ND-Pygmy crosses?
Well. One of the ones I'll be keeping is a boy lol but the girls yes. My ND/Pygmy i have is my best milker. She loves to be milked and i don't have to tie her at all. She just stands and doesn't even have to have food for me to milk her. Also she does not kick at all!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She just stands and doesn't even have to have food for me to milk her. Also she does not kick at all!
I love does like that! I had two does like this last year, I'd be sitting in the grass milking them while they ate and they couldn't've cared less!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.