Do LGDs Need Baths?

Discussion in 'Precious Protectors' started by MellonFriend, Sep 9, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

We have had our anatolian shepherds for about a year and a half now and we have never given them a bath. We never really saw a need to, but I have started to notice that my hands smell after I pet them. It certainly doesn't bother me if it is unnecessary, but should they be bathed every once in a while for the health of their skin and hair?

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Most dogs benefit from the occasional bath!

Go for it!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is OK, weather permitting of course.

4. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Fair warning..i gave mine (2) a bath...they threw themselves in the wayer trough..rolled in the horse manure & dirt
    Then took off running to roll in the goat feces pile. Sooooo. I dont bother anymore...they ended up worse.(doh)

groovyoldlady, HMNS, MadHouse and 4 others like this.
  5. MellonFriend

Oh my that is funny in a horrible way. :eek::lolgoat:

6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

If they have never had a bath before it can turn out really funny and really messy. Remember your goats are used to their smell.

7. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    True for mine.

But she rolls in dirt.

8. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Hhahahaaha my athena (lab whippet mix) LOVED rollin in stinky things! LOVED IT. I would bathe her then she would go right back to it. She was inside and outside so i always won in the end but gah! Lol.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do agree with everyone.

Mine does the same, but will not go into the trough, kiddy pool, doesn't even like baths, he is weird.
    He will go get dirty after, just being rinsed off or bathed.

Sometimes it is good getting off all the built up of dirt and grime, despite. ;)

10. MellonFriend

Well I think then what I'll do is if it gets to the point where it's obvious they need a bath, then I'll do it, but until they reach that point I don't think I'll force them to do something they don't like just so my hands don't smell after I pet them. Their coats and skin look nice so I see no reason to do it now.

We did once give our female a slight bath after she rolled in something abominable and she didn't seem to mind it terribly, but our male always gets very cautious around us using the hose so I think he would probably hate it.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. HMNS

HMNS Active Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Brown County, Ohio
    Yes...nothing quite like a dog rolling in something dead and maggot-y (gag) and then coming to you for love while dripping nasty....gack. We go straight to the hose hook-up...LOL. (mine live in the house with us)

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  13. MellonFriend

We had our female once come to us covered in streaks of suspicious smelly black gunk on Christmas Eve when we were all dressed up for our family party. Oi. :rolleyes:

Moers kiko boars, Boers4ever and HMNS like this.
  14. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Oi is right. Ours gave my dad a big kiss only for us to discover that he had eaten some totally disgusting.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

My daughter has a swiss shepherd pup on the horse farm she works at. Now he dont gaurd goats but horses. He baptized her in horse manure and something unknown. She stank for 2 days. Even after numorous showers and shampoos.

Moers kiko boars likes this.