The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two Nigerian Dwarfs that I'm not sure if they have bloat or are just wide. There are no signs of them being in pain. Should I try baking soda? Would it hurt if they don't have bloat? Thanks in advance. I can't seem to be able to post a picture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may be full rumen at the end of the day. Are they bigger then?

With true bloat,, they will be showing discomfort and pain.
After this reply I should be able to add pictures. They are slightly bigger in the evening. They are just so wide and the left side is a bit wider. It sounds like a ripe watermelon when you slap/tap it.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Looks like they have been eating greenery. Mine seem to try to get as full as possible and look larger than yours with no problems. Just make sure you keep the mineral feeder full.

Reactions: PetLover

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like they have been eating greenery. Mine seem to try to get as full as possible and look larger than yours with no problems. Just make sure you keep the mineral feeder full.
It seems to be fairly regular, and the lack of discomfort kept me from being too worried. Tonight the wether seemed extra large. I feel better bouncing my thoughts off of all you experienced folks.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
It seems to be fairly regular, and the lack of discomfort kept me from being too worried. Tonight the wether seemed extra large. I feel better bouncing my thoughts off of all you experienced folks.
I sure understand that. I have one little doe that will eat grass until she is as wide as she is long, that looks scary.:)

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
What is their diet like?

Are they chewing cud?

Mine have gotten like that from eating too much pasture or uncured hay -- I don't call it bloat because they aren't in pain, I just do some massage and probios.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts