The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have mama doe and daughter doeling in separate pens, currently, but I noticed that they came into heat within a day of each other. Since they had previously been penned alone, together, from the daughter's kidhood to puberty, I wonder if mama doe's heat hormones might have triggered daughter doeling's heat hormones for her first cycle. If that is the case, is it common for a doeling's first heat cycle to be triggered by the hormones of the mother or other doe she is penned with, and might this be useful information for figuring out when someone is in a quiet heat? That is, just watch for the more obvious heat cycle of the doe she was penned with during puberty, to figure out if the "quiet" one might also be in heat? And vice versa?

I hoped I worded this right. I'll know from your responses whether I have, or not.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Does usually cycle together, and since my doe was in heat nearly three weeks ago, I expect one of the doelings to come into heat this next week. She appeared to be cycling and mounting at the same time as Bree was cycling. And she is my youngest goat, coming up on five months in ten days. The older doeling is harder to figure out.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I've heard of that effect in college dorms, so why not among goats, who are very hormone-driven? The test will be with my new addition, who's at the opposite side of the cycle. I wonder if they will eventually end up synchronizing.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
My animal science professor basically equated female livestock animals and their cycling patterns to dorms full of girls, so yeah, same thing going on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts