The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking about buying a feeder pig. Do we need to buy two we would be housing it by itself.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
I don't think you have to but the pig will be happier. Plus you could sell the other pig when it is time to butcher. Just offer to take the pig to the processor and they pay you X amount per pound of hanging weight. I think I paid about $2.50 per pound hanging weight the last time I bought a pig from someone.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
We have had a pig alone and we have had two.. Both sets were fine :)

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great! I think we'll just buy one if we can get away with it. :)

·
4,499 Posts
Mine do seem happier when they are together than when separated ... But mine get along great with my LGD!!! If they had a friendly dog to be with that would probably do too

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
They gain weight faster when there is two, because they feel the need to compete for food, they have each other to snuggle with and keep warm in the cold months, and they have someone to be with. But that doesnt mean you need two, pigs can be just fine by themselves, and you spend less money feeding two :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just have 1 pig. But he lives with 4 kittens who adore him and are constantly going in and out of his pen, so he does have company.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts