do scurs bleed?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by billmac, Jul 2, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I posted on my buckling with scurs a little while back. I know that I got advice to do a reburn, but I'm reluctant to do that. I don't think I can get the iron around them.

The scurs seem very soft and flexible. Can I just clip them off? Do they have blood vessels in them?
  2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    most of the time they just fall off on their wouldnt bleed very much if they were small. I remeber putting a dairy doe on the milking stand and as her head went into the head stall she rubbed her scur off..I dont think she noticed, and it only bled for a few seconds. :shrug:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    With the bleeding... maybe the kid bumped it... or was head butting and made it bleed...if they are soft... I would think... they could very well bleed... if hit hard enough....
    Is it bleeding alot?
  4. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    They aren't bleeding at all. I just want to know if I can clip them off.
  5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i guess you could. i wouldnt personally, unless it was bugging him
  6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    If you do you need to have an iron ready to cauterize it just in case.
  7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    I usually pull them off with nippers. If they are large scurs then I have an iron ready to burn them because they will bleed.
  8. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    OK. As I said, they are soft and floppy. If I leave them alone, will they continue to grow? Will they harden up like horn?
  9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Some will harden but will continually fall off as they play....if floppy at the point where it comes out of his head, you may be able to nip them off with a good, sharp sanitized pair of hoof trimmers. It may or may not bleed....My mom had a pygmy wether that continually grew scurs and they had to be cut about every 8 months as they would curl back into his head...his never bled. Your goat may be different, but if you do decide to take them off I would have some blood stop powder handy, just in case of a bleed. Scurs will regrow.
  10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Some bleed and others dont. If they are soft and floppy they may bleed a little but probably not much. When i cut soft scurs off i usually get them with the iron as well hoping they wont come back.