The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys... I know the first step before treating is doing a fecal, but I need some opinions first.

I was milking wendy this evening and noticed she had a little Doo mucus on her bum which I grabbed a baby wipe to clean up because you know how it is, not going to let my girl walk around like that ... Anyways , I immediately noticed two little white pieces in there that were rice shaped and sized , mushy , but not moving. I pulled a fresh fecal from her and crushed a pellet and there was nothing to be found in it . Her last fecal text was a few weeks ago and the FEC was really good , about 150, and her Famacha was awesome (I know tapes don't effect that)

Question is... Do you think it's likely to be tape ? It's odd that it's not in the pellets but it's odd I found them..... And , it's weird they weren't moving.

She is 2 years old and in milk so a positive ID is essential before I consider discarding all of her amazing milk.

Photo attached is NOT HERS but looks exactly like what I found, however it was not in her pellets but in the mucus . Also, she does not have scours .

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been doing some reading and it seems that some experts say they don't necessarily recommend treating , as it's a passive parasite that doesn't impact the host most of the time. Thoughts on that?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Tape worms can cause dramatic weight loss if that is what she has.

Reactions: Jubillee

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
While yes tapes are rice shaped to me they are more flat than the pic. The ones i have seen in the dogs and cats before have always moved. But please take my reply with a grain of rice ;) and if you think it is tapes treat her.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your fecal, you said it was 150 EPG - of which species (s)?

Do you use any natural deworming?
I don't determine species, just the total FEC. Actually research shows that tapeworm eggs often will not show up in a fecal because they pass through the small segments (wormx.com) and therefore often don't show up. Her actual pellets are fragment free, it was just a small "leftover" that I thought I saw them in.

We don't. I tried it and I personally was not a fan. We use Bioworma and that has been great for the other worms.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I don't determine species, just the total FEC. Actually research shows that tapeworm eggs often will not show up in a fecal because they pass through the small segments (wormx.com) and therefore often don't show up. Her actual pellets are fragment free, it was just a small "leftover" that I thought I saw them in.

We don't. I tried it and I personally was not a fan. We use Bioworma and that has been great for the other worms.
Going by total FEC is not a great method - it's just not accurate. Count by species, always.

Sometimes tapeworm does show up!

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
I have seen tape eggs in our fecals before. We deal with tapes a lot here, unfortunately. They can show as rice-like segments and they can show as flat pieces. I've seen both. In kids, they most definitely do harm. They will stunt them easily. I have seen the articles that say they don't do anything in adults but I disagree. I had milk production drop from them, I've had weight loss happen. They feed on the goat's nutrients thereby stealing them, so yea, they affect them. If I see tapes, I treat.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
I agree with Jubillee. If you see them..treat for them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts