The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the subtropics and learning proper management has been difficult. We had a prolonged period of mineral deficiency and now I am wondering if it could have caused many of our does to become cystic?

These days all of our girls all look outwardly very healthy. After improving their supplementation they gained lots of weight and their coats look good. However, we have had a LOT of false pregnancies in the last two years. I have butchered 3 of our does in the last year and found uteri containing around 1 liter of clear to cloudy-white fluid. Two other does have "burst" their false pregnancies in front of me. Some of our girls appear to go into heat several times within a two week period. Others go 8 months or longer without showing any interest in the boys. Several of our girls develop precocious udders shortly after going into heat.

We don't have any local vets that are experienced in treating goats. However, one vet did offer to look at the reproductive tract if I butcher another doe and bring it straight to him.

Plant Human body Jaw Organism Ingredient
Food Ingredient Jaw Finger Gesture
Jaw Gesture Finger Nail Marine invertebrates

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,790 Posts
First that is pretty cool, I've never see this before although I'm sorry your having issues. I googled cystic ovaries goats and there is actually quite a few images! So this is what I found for you to compare
Photograph Mouth Product Human Jaw
Joint Vertebrate Muscle Human Neck
Joint Photograph Vertebrate Muscle Human

Somethings going on there and I'm not sure what. Do you still have it and can cut it in half and see what it looks like on the inside?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew I should have cut them open! The dogs have already eaten all the cast offs. The chickens also crowd around like vultures whenever we butcher an animal.

There definitely weren't any very large cysts, but one ovary contained clear balls and the other was a dark purple/red. That didn't seem right. When our dog got spayed the vet said he found cysts on her ovaries. I asked to see them and I remember a purple color.

I had hoped by correcting their supplementation and giving them a full year to recover that we'd be in the clear. I'm wondering if I need to cull a bunch of my does and buy some new ones :( I think I may just have to see what the vet says. He has some experience with cattle so maybe he will shed some light on things.

·
Super Moderator
14,790 Posts
If I were to but on what it was I would say cystic. This doe do you know if she was one that kept going into heat or never in heat or just what her story was? Coming into heat many times sure sounds like being cystic as well. Although the one I had cycled every 35 days so she was more a long cycling doe.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I were to but on what it was I would say cystic. This doe do you know if she was one that kept going into heat or never in heat or just what her story was? Coming into heat many times sure sounds like being cystic as well. Although the one I had cycled every 35 days so she was more a long cycling doe.
We're on the equator so they don't receive seasonal cues that stimulate their cycles. This particular doe went into heat twice within a week about 7 months ago and has been carrying a false pregnancy ever since. Right after breeding she developed a precocious udder that slowly reabsorbed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a doe that has been with the buck 5 different heats since September. Boom 21 days later she would be in heat again. Now this last month she has been in heat 7 times! She is driving us and out other goats nuts!!!! We tried giving her a fertagyl injection after she was covered and nothing. I have no idea what to do with her next. Have the same vet problem as you do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a doe that has been with the buck 5 different heats since September. Boom 21 days later she would be in heat again. Now this last month she has been in heat 7 times! She is driving us and out other goats nuts!!!! We tried giving her a fertagyl injection after she was covered and nothing. I have no idea what to do with her next. Have the same vet problem as you do.
It's so frustrating, isn't it? I keep thinking of the sunk cost fallacy. I've given these girls a full year and I should probably cut my losses and get some new goats.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
That would be so frustrating! With it being all/most of them I’d assume some sort of management issue, but no clue what. I too would think getting the minerals straightened out would have fixed it, though maybe there is a different mineral imbalance that is being overlooked?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would be so frustrating! With it being all/most of them I'd assume some sort of management issue, but no clue what. I too would think getting the minerals straightened out would have fixed it, though maybe there is a different mineral imbalance that is being overlooked?
I read some things online that suggested too much calcium from a lot of alfalfa could cause cysts. That's definitely not the case with our girls, but we had severe copper/selenium deficiency for at least a year. From the handful of studies I read, it sounds like once they have cysts, simply correcting the diet doesn't make the cysts go away. The studies I found are mostly done on cattle, but they all suggest a rather complicated hormonal intervention that includes some of the same drugs used for human abortions since the goats need to first abort their fake pregnancies. I live in a place where those drugs are very illegal for people so I'd be surprised if they're on the shelf for veterinary use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts