DO U LINEBREED? HOW CLOSE - WHAT GOOD RESULTS HAVE U HAD?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Plumbago, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Plumbago

Plumbago New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Hi Everyone
    I have a great (well I think so) gene pool and seriously looking at next breeding plan to fix in traits.
    Does anyone linebreed and had good results in reproducing genetics..

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Re: DO U LINEBREED? HOW CLOSE - WHAT GOOD RESULTS HAVE U HAD

Linebreeding is risky business. You are going to want to do plenty of research and be an experienced breeder before doing it. You also should be ready to cull or at least sell kids as pet quality without paperwork if they don't turn out right.

Linebreeding can bring out the best of both goats or the worst...or you can get a mix of good and bad. I personally like to keep my gene pool large, but I have done a little bit of line breeding and so far we have had good results. I won't go as close as breeding full siblings or dam/son sire/daughter breedings...I have bred half siblings and the kids from that breeding turned out really nice so far.

It can really help your breeding program or hurt it. It just depends. If you do the work and make sure to pin point any conformational flaws that may be expressed then you can really make it work. However, I don't think I would do to much linebreeding. If you overdue it, it just doesn't seem to turn out from what i've seen with other herds.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

I learned from my appraiser a few years ago(he co-owned the One*Oak*Hill herd) that its actually almost constant linebreeding which keeps your herd consistent. His saying was "incest is best." If you look at really famous breeders with really nice goats, most of their goats are related to each other in some way.

Then again, like Kylee said, you have to know what you're doing. Knowing genetics is extremely important when linebreeding. When I plan a breeding, I look at both animals ancestors, if there are certain animals that have been linebred on before with good results(by that I mean seeing the result of other people linebreeding on a certain animal) then I will go with that breeding and look at the result. Also, conformation is another important thing to be knowledgeable in, especially with closer-relation breedings like father-daughter, mother-son, half siblings etc. Since the gene pool is so close in these breedings, this is where traits get accentuated: good gets better, bad gets worse. Usually only the strongest genetics can produce the best out of these breedings. Also, these breedings are how breeds have been developed to be as they are today: by doing consistent linebreeding, bad traits were weeded out and culled, while animals with better stronger traits were kept to develop the breed.

Before my mentor retired she decided to do a full brother full sister breeding to see what would happen since she had never done it before(*on a side note, these were Oberhaslis and purebred Oberhaslis in America are descended from the original import of 2 bucks and I think 4 or 5 does) Anyway, the dam of these siblings was the best doe she had ever bred: she was a huge doe, milked like a Saanen, had an udder that was just GORGEOUS, high and wide, awesome medial, awesome capacity, the whole nine yards, and she received a final score of 91 for appraisal at 5 years old. The sire was a permanent CH, had received his + from his milking daughters, and had sired quite a few good daughters. Anyway, the result of this full sibling breeding was triplet doelings, all of which were just gorgeous. My mentor said they all closely resembled their granddam. She offered to let me buy one of them, I wish I would have taken it but our numbers were a bit maxed at the time :(

Another side note, when I breed I don't always do linebreeding. When I want to buy a new buck that will be an outcross, but that has lines that I would like to incorporate into my herd, I always look at the buck's ancestry for consistency. If the line proves consistent then I know that is something I want to incorporate into my herd knowing(thats not the right word but hoping isn't the right word either) that he will improve the areas I need improved, and maintain quality where quality needs to be maintained.

And in the end, when it comes to it, if it works its linebreeding, if it doesn't, its inbreeding :)

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I have done my first two line breedings this year. I'm line breeding one two exceptional proven animals.

With my doe Noah's acre's Lola I am line breeding on her sire Doe-sy-doe FS voctory flame (the 2007 national champion buck). The buck I am breeding Lola to is Vic's great grand son Cornerstone farm almon. So its not a huge close line breeding but not far out either.

My other line breeding is on ARMCH Fairlea Heidi *D I'm doing a great grand son to a grand daughter (that's what I blieve off top my head)

I can let you know how they turn out :)

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I hate to say that I have done it for years, I have had nothing but GREAT results. we are the Grand Champion all the time. This year is the first time I have not used any of my buck on a "family line doe".
    I will see what I get for kids this year.

I have had a oops son bred mother and I got GRAND CHAMPIONS out of it, but you have to remember that any fault that they both might have the off springs will really have it. (like maybe a bad set of legs, or something like that), but in turn if you have tow very nice things (like Cashmere) you should get really really nice Cashmere out of it, length, crimp, style, and micron count.

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

I love line breeding...some of my very best kids have been out of tight linebreedings. My Master Champion buck is HEAVILY linebred and he produces the most consistent kids regardless of who he is bred too. :)

7. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I used to HATE the idea of Linebreeding, we dont linebreed, why should we do it to our goats? BUT now I really like it, my buck is Linebred on some of the BEST nigerians ever, and hes turned out to be an amazing buck, cant wait to show him!

I have never actually linebred myself, I may this time though, not very close, Im not ready to do sister and brother, or anything like that. But 2 exceptional goats should make a nice baby, sometimes lol

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree......... linebreeding........ can be a really good thing.... :thumb:

but....you just have to be careful....to not breed bad traits to bad traits..... :wink: :thumb: