Do we involve ourselves in a picture perfect kidding?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by kids-n-peeps, Apr 21, 2010.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    If things are progressing well and a doe kids easily and begins to clean & care for the kids, is it really necessary to step in and help with drying the kids, using the bulb syringe, etc? I have read that if the doe will do it and the kids seem healthy and the weather is cooperating to just let things be.

How much do you involve yourselves in such a situation?

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Even If everything is going smoothly I help dry the babies. I also check the does teats and udder and squeeze out a few streams to make sure everything is working...then I'll direct the kids toward the teats and try to get them nursing as soon as possible. Most does would probably get along fine without the assistance...but I think being there and doing these things helps the moms to bond with me more and helps the kids be more accepting of people from the very begining.

3. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

I do the same. I help dry the kids off even more so when she has multiples. Sometimes if they have the second kid quickly they havent had time to get the kid cleaned off, or at least have its nose and mouth cleaned, sometime they popped that second kid right out, and when they have three or more [though Ive only had three before] It just makes it easier on them, and we do wanna make it as easy as possible for them. And I do the helping them eat and make sure they are because it helps them not only eat, but me see if the kid is having any problems. Plus as was pointed out if you want friendly kids its nice to interact from day one, I have some kids not bottle feed that think Im there second mom. I have been there at every birthing this year, and there have been many. :thumb:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I also dry them off, especially with more than one, they get preoccupied pushing or licking another kid.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    YEP, I agree with the others :hi5: . Now that is of course if I am lucky enough to be there.
    If there is only one I TRY to stay away, but I just CAN"T, I have to get in there and help just because I can not help myself. :laugh:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I guess... I am different than everyone else... :shrug: I only wipe off their faces...
    The reason being is....... I want momma's smell...... to be there as long as possible..... so she won't disown them...... and by using laundry towels ..or other types of things to dry them....there is that risk... of getting that smell on them to where the momma won't bond....this is extremely important with First timers.....so ...I have a heat lamp for them ...they stand or lay under it and dry naturally...this is after getting there colostrum....... it is just how I do it..... :wink: :greengrin:

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I think everyone has their own way that works for them. :hi5:

Some are more into the all natural approach, and others are into the hands on approach. I don't think either is better than the other.

I personally like to be there. I like to check and make sure the kid is positioned right. This is so that the doe doesn't tire herself out pushing out a kid who can't come out the way it's trying to. I wipe off their noses and dry them up all nice. Haven't had any issues with does rejecting kids cause of this, course I don't use fabric softener and fragrance on the goat towels. :laugh:

I've had several hard births and one or two deaths because I didn't check in time, or wasn't there, so I just don't risk it.

Once I am sure all is well with the kids and mom I leave them to bond.