The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get two Nigerian dwarf goats. I've talked to a breeder and they said that because I only want goats for pets, it would make more sense for me to get wethers. Then I was watching a video about them and the girl said that banded males can have buck/billy goat traits. Please help

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
if they are done right and at a young age, no, if they are not done right or after they start there first rut then they may

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
Well you don’t want them done at too young of an age (12 weeks is ideal minimum).

I don’t think the really have “buck qualities” although there are behaviors every now and then that are funny. I would say, as a matter of fact, instead of acting more like bucks they can tend to act similar to a doe in heat.

They will hump each other, or randomly do weird things with their body. I’ve seen once or twice them do that lip thing.

They don’t smell or pee on themselves or anything like that.

So I guess my simple answer is no, they are fairly similar to does if anything.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a 5 month old wether who was banded at 4 months. He definitely has a little smell to him. My girls have zero smell but if I scratch between his horns my hand smells. Of course he smells a lot less than a buck and doesn’t pee on himself. His hair is longer coarser and oilier he even has a little beard. His horns are thicker and bigger than the 3 month older girls

He is smaller than my girls but he’s quickly become the dominant goat

He does the lip thing and try’s to hump the girls when they are up for it

He has a good temperament similar to the girls only more independent and is very much the ‘cool’ member of the herd

He is my first wether I don’t know if this is normal. I wouldn’t change him for the world

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Welcome to our group! For my part, I prefer fertile bucks rather than castrated ones. For example, they are less probable to get problems with urine stones.

But, that's me! :) Very nice to have you here anyway! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts