Do you disbud market meat goats

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by sabine, Jul 4, 2009.

1. sabine

sabine New Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Just wondering if its ok to disbud goats that you know are going for meat? Does it make a difference to anyone buying for religious purposes as well?

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i disbud because fair wethers are required to be.. and if they are just terminals, stock buyers don't want to pay for the added weight of horns.. plus the animals could hurt themselves or the others, making it a liability for them to have horns

just my :2cents:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    As for a difference to anyone buying for religious purposes...that is a great question....maybe ask the ethnic group.... that will buy from you.... in the future... and see what they desire... :wink:

I don't disbud personally... but if that is what you want to do...it is perfectly OK and nothing wrong with it....... :greengrin:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    4-H goat = yes.

all of the others...I dont personally, but it'd be a great thing to ask an ethnic group who eat goat, the people who buy mine dont care if they have horns or not.

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    see i take my excess kids to the local stockman richard. he wont pay as much if they have horns.. so it's worth it for me to disbud everything i can except the show boers.

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We only do it for FFA.

Your ethnic buyers prefer intact males & that includes horns. :wink: